Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought an 06 Tribeca... Question

Hello All!

I'm a newbie here and I have a Q.

I just got my new 06 Tribeca Limited on Sunday and I LOVE it! The only thing I need (besides an audio upgrade) is to install the trailer hitch... Has anyone installed the thing themselves yet? I'm a bit of a wrenchhead and would like to avoid paying the dealership to do it.

So, any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Logan

Hello All!

I just got my new 06 Tribeca Limited on Sunday and I LOVE it! The only thing I need (besides an audio upgrade) is to install the trailer hitch... Has anyone installed the thing themselves yet? I'm a bit of a wrenchhead and would like to avoid paying the dealership to do it.

Thanks!

Logan

I am sure you CAN install a hitch if you have mech. knowledge. My question is does SOA have a hitch for the Tribeca? What class is it? Class I, II, III? and is a Tribeca PRE wired for a hitch?

What do you want to tow or tote with the hitch?

if you buy a bolt on hitch then it will bolt on easily. if you get a generic receiver and want to start drilling and welding then you can. easiest to find a made to fit assembly that bolts up. there aren't any for my old school soob so i have to drill and bolt myself. if you can't find a bolt on kit it would probably be best to pay someone else to do it. compared to the cost of the car the cost of this install is miniscule at most.

logie231,

I've installed factory trailer hitches on my 97 OBW and my 02 OBW, and both were a snap. Using standard sockets and tools, I had both hitches installed in an hour, by myself, without needing a hoist, or jacking up the car. Yes, parts of the install were awkward by myself, but no drilling or cutting needed to be done. The only problems I had WITH BOTH KITS was that the instructions said that the new trailer wiring harness just plugged into the car's wiring harness plug, that was in behind the rear interior wheel well panel on one side of the car. When I couldn't find the plugs as described, a quick search of the same location on the other side of the car located them. Must have been a change in specifications from the original by the manufacturer. As I recall, there was some fiddly stuff with a blind nut that was attached to a 3 inch long metal finger. I had to put the nut/finger assembly through a frame hole and hold it until I could put a bolt through another frame hole and thread it into the blind nut. As I recall, I developed a new blue language for about 5 minutes until I held my tongue just right, but that was it. Its a DIYer, if there ever was one. Good luck!

Hello All!

Thanks!

Logan

you might consider pricing it from jamie (http://www.subiegal.com) who now works at http://www.subarugenuineparts.com

or http://www.etrailer.com may have one. I suspect both will come with instructions for installation.

Carl

I have to throw my typical reply to towing questions in here:

If you're going to be towing something of decent heft (I'd say anything over 1000lbs), you might want to consider an auxiliary tranny cooler to keep the tranny fluid temp down.

Subaru AT's are very good reliable transmissions... as long as they don't overheat!