Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Threaded metal piece?

EYE_WHY

I was doing some cleaning in the wagon and after carpet removal I found a piece of the metal floor had been factory threaded. It was pretty prominent too, raised above the rest of the floor. Any ideas what it is for? I was thinking it might be an alternative place for the spare tire but the bolt that holds the spare down is too long.

yep...place to store the flat, there's a different mounting bracket/bolt that woks with it. 2 of my wagons came with it. still in it's little plastic bags, here's the instructions on it...

How to store Flat Tire

1. Screw the shaft into the floor through the slit in the mat covering the trunk floor (or luggage space floor).

Rotate the shaft in a clockwise direction by spanner until it is tight. (Make sure that the mat is not caught.)

2. Pass the shaft through any one of the lug holes in the wheel and tighten the wheel down with the holder until it is fully secure.

i found some weird things on the interior of my 88 gl hatch. right above the floor in front of the back seat there's a little plastic knock-out cover thing, and underneath there is a threaded hole with no apparent purpose. one on both the driver's and passenger's side.

Ya, I found one of those too. Only found one it on the passenger side though. I have absolutely no clue what they are for. They couldn't possibly be another spare/flat holder? Anyone?

Ya, I found one of those too. Only found one it on the passenger side though. I have absolutely no clue what they are for. They couldn't possibly be another spare/flat holder? Anyone?

My guess would be that it is the securing point for car seat anchors..

Thats what my 90 wagon owners manual said anyway. I even had the little bolt/anchor pieces that threaded in there