Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 turbo runs on 3 ??? good power. help

got a 87 turbo 4x4 5 sp a/c 119 000 miles. GL runs on three the front pasenger side cylinder isnt working I can drive the car normal for 45 min+ . it doesnt over heat checked compresion on the passenger front cylinder got 105PSI got 120 on the passenger rear cylinder swapped around the plugs so I know it has spark wondering whats wrong with it . possible fuel injector?? or is it a head gasket. what do I look for next Scott

It would be useful to know exactly how you ruled out spark problems. Just swapping out the plugs isn't conclusive. I would be very suspicious of the sparkplug wires, and carefully check the distributor cap (including where the plug-wire connects; for corrosion) and rotor. Ignition is the most likely problem.

What makes you think that you are down one cylinder? Did you disconnect (and ground!) one plug wire at a time until the car ran the same?

With the car running does the motor sound different when you pull a plug wire? Try all cylinders just to be sure. From what you've described it sounds like an injector. Take an ohmmeter to the 2 injectors on the passenger side they should be around 2.4 ohms if my memroy is correct. In any event they should both be within a few tenths of an ohm of each other if ones lower replace it. Very easy to do, remove the 2 bolts on the fuel rail that'l free up the one side, then remove the hose clamp on the injector and the 2 bolts that hold it down. easy as 123...

I checked out the Ohms on the dead cylinder injector, it was a open curcuit, replaced the injector with a used one , and now it runs on all 4 , took it out for a drive, that thing is a rocket compard to my spfi ea82 thanks for the advice, this car will soon be lifted, other car will go up for sale Scott