Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locked Out

Hi everyone hope you can help

I have just had the wonderfull experience of driving our new purchase (92 loyale wagon) home and locking the only key in it.

Is there any way to unlock it. (yes i know the key would help!!! funny thing I can see it sitting there in the ignition)

need to drive wife to work in the morning.

Thanks

Garry

does it have power locks or manual?are any of the windows cracked at all?i suppose maybe your best bet is to get a strong wire coat hanger and start trying to pull the window out just far enough to get it through, and trying to hit the lock, or there might be a 24hr locksmith.good luck

Jon

does it have power locks or manual?are any of the windows cracked at all?i suppose maybe your best bet is to get a strong wire coat hanger and start trying to pull the window out just far enough to get it through, and trying to hit the lock, or there might be a 24hr locksmith.good luck

Jon

locks are manual

Get a coat hanger,

bend a slight hook in the end,

insert the coat hanger hook first from the middle of the window,

move the hook toward the rear of the door,

and snag what ever you can, and pull.

My first time i didn't even realize that it opened, I thought that it was just hanging up on random junk in the door. But it was open.

Matt

The closest Soob dealer to him is probably 1.5hrs away (I used to live in Ruidoso). The others are right about the window trick, if you can get something long,skinny and stiff (no jokes please) to go thru the window crack on the b-pillar and try and push the other lock. Or make a slimjim out of flat flexible metal with a hook on the end and slide it down the outside of the window, trying to get the lock to trip that way.

Look under the bumper for a hide-a-key... (it could happen). See if one of the windows will force down a bit that would be a big help. otherwise just tinker around with wire & stuff. I've done it both ways, straight stick to the opposite door and coathanger. You or somebody will get it eventually. if one of the window cranks is in a good position, hook the hanger end over the crank & pull it up.

I don't have any advice, so sorry, but I DO have a funny story. I have a Brat that had some problems and broke down in town. I drug a friend out to help me and we got it running, then decided to go to lunch. Well, what do you know, he locks the only key inside. The windows were completely up, so no luck there. He got in by pounding on the roof (It was a GL, and had T-Tops) and I'll be a monkey's uncle, if the lever didn't come loose and he opened the t-top, took it out and we climbed inside the t-top and opened the door. I tried this trick later with no luck, I guess the t-top was *just* loose enough to open up. So there. Sorry for the post jack.

Try getting a coathanger or a long rod of some sort, prying outward on the window, sticking the rod through, and pushing on the lock button/lever on the other side of the car.

Good luck!

That's how my brother got into a Brat for a customer where he works. It got me worried about how easy it is to get into a MY! Dunno what the door lucks look like on the newer ones tho.

you would be surprised how few keys open how many subes.... hate to let

that little secret out... i have two keys that have opened every one ive tried...

also you could twist together a few coat hangers for stiffness, and put a hook

at the far end, sort of like a check mark or division symbol...

hook the key from the ignition, rotate the coat hanger so it passes below the

second bend (will help from falling off) and pull back through.

i did this through the upper rear corner of the passenger window on a wagon.

probably your best bet....

i used three coat hangers... two mostly side by side and the third one sticking out farther with the two bends in it. i did cheat and use a pliers to do some of the twisting so it would be reliable.

ya when i locked my keys outa my 79 i got out a coat hanger and just creaped it through the window into the door and pulled the lock up... i broke my lock doing it... the key doesn't work anymore...

but haha my dad is very easily annoyed... and the window makes a wining noise at high speeds because after the window got smashed(you might want to try that too:lol: ) by a theif it was replaced incorrectly...

so on the way to whistler(just him alone) he pulled over on the side of the highway, got out and messed with the window for a couple minutes while the car was idling... well... that lock switch on the legacy's are pretty easy to nudge... he lock the doors... shut the door... then realized that he had locked himself out of the car with the car on... BAHAHAHA... thats what i told him on the phone... then my mom went and got him a key...

but ya it seems you got lots of options now... so good luck!

I locked myself out of my '86 GL wagon (same as your Loyale) and called AAA to get me in. After the guy tried for 1-1/2 hours to open the driver's side door, he finally called into the office and they told him to use his "slim-jim" on the REAR door since it's almost impossible to jimmy the lock on the front doors. He had it open 5 minutes later. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ed, was it the drivers rear? Thats the door I had issues with when I had the car here. Hard to belive you got locked out of that car since when you sold it to me it came with like 7 keys :lol:

On how to get into the locked car, at the Shop one tuesday we locked ourselves out of a gen 2 GL. We fabbed a tool with a curve at the end... I think it was a piece of aluminum. We used a wood wedge to pull the glass away from the gasket, then slid the tool and used it to bump the door lock til it opened.

Hi everyone hope you can help

I have just had the wonderfull experience of driving our new purchase (92 loyale wagon) home and locking the only key in it.

Is there any way to unlock it. (yes i know the key would help!!! funny thing I can see it sitting there in the ignition)

need to drive wife to work in the morning.

Thanks

Garry

Don't know if you got this done, but I watched mine being removed by a professional. He pried the front passenger window out from the top and propped it out there with a wadded up rag, stuck a coathanger type wire with a hook on it in, snagged the keys, and had them out in about 2 minutes.

Two things...

Have you tried the rear door for unlockedness? I locked the keys in my wagon listening to the radio in the drive and the rear door shut its self while I was getting a soda. I freaked and checked the rear gate... it was open. Other thing is to find someone else keys and try them... Roni locked her keys in her Acura and I used the wagon key to unlock it. nissian keys also work. Try it.