Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strong gas smell after starting?

My 96 Legacy wagon emits a very strong odor of un-burnt gas when I start it cold. It seems to be getting worse over the last couple of years. Is this a fuel mixture problem?

Also, I'm getting some 'pinging' when I accelerate (sounds like little glass beads shaken up in a jar). Could be I need to use higher octane fuel (Ugh!! $$$$). Or is it somehow related to the gas smell/fuel mixture issue?

Thanks in advance - great site!!!!!

First off, No check engine light correct?

When cold the car runs rich, so a slight smell wouldn't be too unexpected, but I've never experianced it with my 96GT.

Also, based on your name I assume you have a 96 Legacy GT. The 96 GT had the first release of the EJ25D. The owners manual and the gas flap should both say premium fuel reccomended. The later years did not "require" it. I seem to be able to run mid-grade in mine, but I also just did the head gaskets and had the heads cleaned.

Smelling gas at start is usually a sympton of the charcoal canister system (EVAP) needing servicing. Could be the Purge valve is stuck open. I forget how the system works exaclty, but I know on some cars the canister is purged upon starting. Could also be something as simple as a cracked hose. First thing i would do is inspect all the hoses going into and coming out od the charcoal canister (black round can under the hood). Also if possible, Have somone else turn the car on (dont start it) and see if you can find the source under the hood (checking for any liquid leaks). Nect start the car and try to use your nose to see ewhere it is strongest.

Joe

I'm having the same issue with the fuel smell, but it's not just after starting, it ALWAYS! No visible leaks. I just got the car and it had been sitting for almost a year before I rescued her. I was thinking that maybe the injector seals may be going bad, but the smell seems to be mostly around the vapor can. It's REALLY bad right after I fill up or after a prolonged highway romp chasing a WRX.......

• 2 months later...
I'm having the same issue with the fuel smell, but it's not just after starting, it ALWAYS! No visible leaks. I just got the car and it had been sitting for almost a year before I rescued her. I was thinking that maybe the injector seals may be going bad, but the smell seems to be mostly around the vapor can. It's REALLY bad right after I fill up or after a prolonged highway romp chasing a WRX.......

FWIW as in misery loves company - My 98 Legacy 2.5GT has developed the same raw gas smell, I think it is at cold start-up. Going to check fuel lines, connecting hoses, evap can per all the other threads. I had a HUGE gas stink in the garage earlier in the year, that was successfully traced by my nose to the right rear, turned out to be a very rotted gas tank filler neck pipe

My '02 WRX also has this problem. It's only when it's cold out - below freezing, that it happens. Any time the car isn't moving, the odor comes through the vents. Even after the engine is warm, it will still happen. When the weather is warm, I don't have this problem. Since it's only recently gotten cold, I've been a little lazy in getting this fixed.