Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch issues (but it doesn't slip)

for an AWD XT6 - when it's in gear the clutch will not slip at all. but sometimes it's hard to get it in gear. you press the clutch pedal down and the gear shift just won't go into gear sometimes. it eventually does. seems the clutch doesn't disengage until the pedal is low and the previous owner said "it needs a clutch". how does the clutch fail but it doesn't slip at all? out of my 3 manual trans XT6's i'm driving right now it's probably the toughest to make slip if you're "getting on it".

or it could be out of adjustment.

Yeah. I'm not familiar with the XT, but on the GL, the clutch cable will get out of adjustment to the point where it never actually disengages the clutch. Makes it a bear to get into first or reverse but you don't really notice it in higher gears. If this is the case, you need a new clutch cable, or maybe just adjust the nut on the end on the release fork.

When I got my 6, there was very little if any "free-play" in the pedal, so I adjusted it. Got about 7/8" "free-play" in the pedal, but then it wanted to grind going into 1st unless I was stopped or slowly rolling, plus it felt "notchy" shifting into higher gears.

OK, more adjustment needed, and that's so fun on these cars, really difficult to get wrenches in there. After the re-adjustment, I have about 1/2" of "free-play", but it still wants to grind a bit going into 1st, but not as "notchy" for the other gears. Less than 1/2" of "free-play" just don't sound right to me. I'd like to know what you come up with on yours..

Mine will slip if I do a hard nailing of 2nd on dry pavement, I know better than to try a hole-shot in 1st. Maybe I just need a new clutch pack.

okay i adjusted mine and all is well. the nut had come loose. there was only one nut holding it in place, no lock nut to hold it so it had backed off the clutch. there was another nut there, just not tightened down to hold it in place. i adjusted it and used the other to lock it in place and all is good...for now!!!