Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where is the fuel pump on an 81 wagon?/new user new to subaru

Hello all just bought an 81 wagon with 127000 miles, ran ok for a few days, but when accelerating it would bog down like it wasn't getting any fuel, but if I acceleratded hard(floored it) it would make a clicking sound and rev up real high and would drive fast??? I gave it a tune up and new fuel filter and hasnt helped, I can tell there isn't much fuel getting to the filter, so i'm guessing that is a fuel pump issue, which brings me to my question Where is the fuel pump. any information or pictues you can tell/show me would be great. Thanks John

On an 81 its actually in the engine compartment most of the time. It will be near the wiper motor up in the corner of the engine compartment and be kindof square about 1.5" x 1.5" with a bracket mounting it and fuel lines running in & out with a 2 wire plug to it.

Another thing you might want to do is replace the other fuel filter. It is located right next to the fuel pump in front of the pasenger rear tire. This is commonly overlooked. I would replace that before you replace the fuel pump and see if that helps...that is if you haven't already replaced it.