Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Brakes in Mountains

Hi - Has anybody had a problem with Impreza front brakes heating up and creating a strong smell going downhill in mountains? This is on twisty dirt roads going 20-40 MPH, not terribly steep. Brake pads were just replaced a month ago - maybe a problem with replacement pads - I don't remember this with the old pads...

Hi - Has anybody had a problem with Impreza front brakes heating up and creating a strong smell going downhill in mountains? This is on twisty dirt roads going 20-40 MPH, not terribly steep. Brake pads were just replaced a month ago - maybe a problem with replacement pads - I don't remember this with the old pads...

The advice about downshifting is good, but what you are smelling is the chemicals from pads or anti squeal materials getting hot. Our mail cars always does this when we change pads because we get them so hot with all of the stops, and of course yours got hot going down the mountain. After a few days it goes away.

New pads still need to burn off some of the chemical bonding agents. Phenolic resins is the correct term, I think.

I had the same problem on the Nürburgring recently, braking hard down the hill into Fuchsrore.....only happended the first time, after that the brakes didn't smell.

Do they just smell hot, or can you notice fade?

Using the brakes hard can definitely heat them up to the point where they smell. I've had my brakes hot to the point where they smelled a little burnt, but were still working fine. I've also had them fade noticably. If you're already engine braking and you notice the braking ability is reduced, you should probably get a set of better pads. I used the wonder that is the classified forum on nasioc to pick up wrx front and "h6" rear brakes on the cheap. It's a bit of overkill though.

Here's a picture of some really hot brakes:

dsc017343dz.jpg

Rotors cut and a good set of Bendix pads is my answer. I live the highest part of West Virginia and have had Subarus for 13 years out here . Nothing but mountians to go up and down on. Go down some hills at 50mph or better and it hair pin curves too,good set of pads and all in how you drive it. Just watch out for the deer,had one leap right over the hood the other night on the way down hill but that did not slow me down a bit. Subaru is like driving a super high class go-cart. lol luv the wifes Outback