Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody Tow WITHOUT a trailer??

Ok, so everyone knows about my 87 GL-10 sedan with full time 4WD, 5sp with its super sweet LSD in the back... my problem is i do not own a full car trailer...

...one that takes all 4 wheels off the ground *i think thats what its called*

so my question is this! i read in the tech manual about a lever that disengages the rear axle... or the center diff... or something. i just wanna know if i can tow the car with all 4 wheels on the ground... somehow!

i dont have 1000 bucks for a trailer, and i'm sure theres someone here who knows a way :)

thanks ahead of time!!!

Luigi

To tow the car with all four on the ground, you would need to remove the rear driveshaft and the front axleshafts. If the transmission is spun by the output shafts for any length of time, it will not be lubricated properly and damage will occur.

Probably the easiest thing to do is get a tow dolley...then you only have to remove the rear driveshaft.

that's definitely how you want to do it. i've towed about half a dozen XT6's that way, very simple. load it on the dolly, then unbolt the driveshaft. unbolt the driveshaft where it bolts to the rear differential and then ziptie or securely tie the driveshaft out of the way. if you unbolt the end opposite of the rear diff it will turn since the wheels will be driving the rear diff. which would still work, but be harder to keep it secure, easier if it's just not moving at all. although the bolts furthest away from the rear diff tend to be easier to get off (less rust typically), so if you can't get them move towards the trans.

drove my dolly to work today to pick up a legacy on the way home, i'll be doing the same thing since it's AWD.

that's definitely how you want to do it. i've towed about half a dozen XT6's that way, very simple. load it on the dolly, then unbolt the driveshaft. unbolt the driveshaft where it bolts to the rear differential and then ziptie or securely tie the driveshaft out of the way. if you unbolt the end opposite of the rear diff it will turn since the wheels will be driving the rear diff. which would still work, but be harder to keep it secure, easier if it's just not moving at all. although the bolts furthest away from the rear diff tend to be easier to get off (less rust typically), so if you can't get them move towards the trans.

drove my dolly to work today to pick up a legacy on the way home, i'll be doing the same thing since it's AWD.

thats awesome man, thanks for the info!