Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dynoing an 83 suby

I have the opportunity to put my 83 subaru gl on the dyno and see what type of power its making. Im guessing that its putting out around 70-80 (its only got 57000 miles on and runs like a top). Would this be something that people on this site would be interested in seeing? Anyone interested in what these things were making when they were close to new (sorta).

heck yeah!!!!! if you can do it please do!

Hey hey you have an 83 with a 5 speed. Nice. Im thinking seriously of converting mine over to 5 speed. Im sick of this stupid auto. How does it feel with stick. Im just curious if it will be night and day in acceleration. Mine feels real sluggish until i hit 2nd. thanks

Hey hey you have an 83 with a 5 speed. Nice. Im thinking seriously of converting mine over to 5 speed. Im sick of this stupid auto. How does it feel with stick. Im just curious if it will be night and day in acceleration. Mine feels real sluggish until i hit 2nd. thanks

subaru's stock auto SUCKS. slow as hell. first gear is a joke. i like the older gl sedans.

i need a 5 speed tranny from an ea81, if i can find a donor 4wd hatch, horray for me. i seriously doubt it though, junker around here only has loyales, and i doubt if any of the stuff will fit. im not about to fabricate any parts either.

It is awesome to have an EA82 5SPD in my EA81T wagon. I can't say for a Carb'd EA81.

Willis- you mean an EA82 4WD 5SPD, not an EA81, right? (The only EA81 5SPD I am aware of is 2WD.)

There isn't much fab. work to install the trasmission into a 4WD EA81. The only thing that doesn't fit is the transmission crossmember. I'm shortening the width of the 5SPD x-member to fit the EA81 body currently to replace the x-member I broke on my wagon.

P.S. A dyno chart would be nice to have, but I wouldn't say it's worth $ (this sounds free to me :drunk: )

P.S. A dyno chart would be nice to have, but I wouldn't say it's worth $ (this sounds free to me :drunk: )

Its not free but it shouldn't be very expensive. I'm in the Uconn car club so everyone in it is pitching in for a group dyno pull. Im not sure of the exact cost but if it reasonably cheap ill do it.

PS. I know what these cars are supposed to make but im still curious what my particular car makes.

It is awesome to have an EA82 5SPD in my EA81T wagon. I can't say for a Carb'd EA81.

Willis- you mean an EA82 4WD 5SPD, not an EA81, right? (The only EA81 5SPD I am aware of is 2WD.)

There isn't much fab. work to install the trasmission into a 4WD EA81. The only thing that doesn't fit is the transmission crossmember. I'm shortening the width of the 5SPD x-member to fit the EA81 body currently to replace the x-member I broke on my wagon.

hmm, maybe it IS something to look into then.

I have the opportunity to put my 83 subaru gl on the dyno and see what type of power its making. Im guessing that its putting out around 70-80 (its only got 57000 miles on and runs like a top). Would this be something that people on this site would be interested in seeing? Anyone interested in what these things were making when they were close to new (sorta).

I'm always interested in dyno numbers. I'm betting you will put down around 50hp tops if your car is healthy. At least it is a start and you can monitor how much hp and torque you put down after doing any modifications. What are your plans after the dyno runs?

You know what is really strange about my car???? the damn thing flies. i couldn't believe it when I bought it and it was even out of time when I got it. you should have come over to the CT meet last weekend....i was there with the 83...I would have let ya drive it around the block.

holy cow thats neck and neck with my 84 vw scirocco

dyno1.jpg

:)

oh my bad...thats what my rocco put down at the wheels.

the suby will be a bit lower.;)