Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn corner..oil light flickers...

My Son has been driving my 88 Wagon, I noticed it hasn't been dripping oil lately (will be getting new engine seals soon) anyway, I took Sube and son too a church gathering this eve and while driving I noticed red oil light flickered whenever I took a corner :eek: so I stopped by Auto store and had him go in and buy 2 quarts of oil and explained to him that engines don't run without oil .....LOL...

he put two quarts in while I gave him a GREAT and MIGHTY lecture about responsibility of checking the oil everytime he fuels up and so on, and so forth, and after the second quart the oil just touched the dip stick... :banghead: so I sent him in for a 3rd quart and the lecture continued till we got all the way home... Didn't hurt it i GUESS, but...scheezee... son, ... CHECK THE OIL!

Soooo, conclusion... my 88 wagon isn't dripping oil cause..

THERE IS NONE!!!!!!!!!:lol:

(sorry so long I guess I should have put this in the misc column... oh well...)

My Brother is a good one for that. Got an Ex-Brother in law that drove his car for a week with the oil light on. Brought it to me cause it was making funny noises. Asked him about the light being on and he said he didn't know what it meant. Here's your sign!!!!!

You would not believe how many engines we've replaced because "my son ran it out of oil"! :eek:

The very first thing I've taught every kid we've gotten a car: check your oil here, your tranny fluid here, your tires like this....you get the picture. AND, read your owners manual! How do you know how much to put in if you don't know how much it holds?

Kids...geesh! :D

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

And people laugh when I say, "The drip is my dipstick. If there's not a small puddle when I get back to the car, I know it needs oil really badly. If the puddle is smaller than usual, it just needs some oil."

Yes, I have a dipstick, and yes, I check it when I fill up. :-)

-=Russ=-

When I purchased Mad Max (84 GL) it was only 2 quarts low :eek:

No oil light no leaks :-\

My old Toyota would get down 3 quarts before the light would begin to flicker on corners...

I think maybe there's something to be learned here...

CHECK YOUR OIL! :banghead:

Along the same lines I feel I must share. My girlfriend has a Pontiac Vibe. (Yeah I know, you don't have to tell me) The person that does the service scheduling at the dealership told her that if the oil light comes on it needs an oil change and she should call for an appointment!! :eek: I immediately pulled out the owners manual and showed her that it really meant there was no oil pressure and that usually means no oil. Either way I told her if that light ever comes on to pull the car right off the road (no matter where she is) and shut it off. Just can't believe someone working at a dealership could be that stupid, but it was a GM dealer.

Keith

Hate to admit it, but I killed my first car that way. Hand-me-down semi-beater Crown Vic 5.0 (lightweight cast iron body) started acting funny on the highway. There was never an autopsy, but I know the cause of death was "complete seizure due to lack of oil."

I have learned a couple things since then....

Along the same lines I feel I must share. My girlfriend has a Pontiac Vibe. (Yeah I know, you don't have to tell me) The person that does the service scheduling at the dealership told her that if the oil light comes on it needs an oil change and she should call for an appointment!! :eek: I immediately pulled out the owners manual and showed her that it really meant there was no oil pressure and that usually means no oil. Either way I told her if that light ever comes on to pull the car right off the road (no matter where she is) and shut it off. Just can't believe someone working at a dealership could be that stupid, but it was a GM dealer.

Keith

Our '95 Pontiac Grand Am has 2 oil lights in it. If the 1st light comes on, you're low on oil pressure. If the other light comes on, I have no-clue... Even the Owners Manual says it's nothing to be concerned about. Huh,,,What??? Called the dealership about it, never got a good enough answer. The 2nd light has lit a couple of times, but it's been maybe 18 months ago since the last time it did so. Why have 2 oil lights on a car, especially if one of them isn't supposed to mean anything????

My brother's ranger actually has an oil level light on it, if I remember correctly. I thought that was pretty cool, as you'd get a warning a little sooner than a pressure-sensor based light.

Dang, that reminds me...I need to get back on installing a low-coolant warning light in my car. Why do they have these on big rigs and busses but not passenger cars? It just seems stupid!