Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noob here, with some refined Q's

Whats up, I just got a 89 XT6 N/A FWD ect and have a few problems:

First is the *************** over heats in about 5 mins. For some stupid reason the fans wont kick on, so I'm guessing that theres a thermol switch bad, somethings not grounded right or my friends dad is an Idiot.

2nd: My friends dad (who I bought the car from) took into liberty to replace the serp belt, fix the main pulley bolt which was supposley rigged at a garage before he got it, and there was something with clearance with the alt after tightening it.

Last thing for now is some how they broke the drivers side window out, and i realized wow, this is harder to get a window for then my RX-7. I guess I'm asking is what other cars have the SAME window. Its power window too. blah it sucks. If theres no other cars/rare to find used then I guess I'll go new.

I know ALL about changing all fluids, tune up ect, I just have to go get the car soon. So far it doesnt seem to leak alot of oil, though it is present, but Im alright with that.

Thanks.

Jamy

I THINK that all the XTs have the same windows, but I'm not positive. Others here will know for sure.

Does the car overheat while driving or just while sitting there? If the fan isn't coming on, it could just be a blown fuse, or the thermoswitch could be bad (or just unplugged by accident). Try bypassing the thermoswitch with the key on using a little jumper wire or a paper clip. If the fan comes on, the thermoswitch is bad.

Boosted84Wagon: Yeah dude, they really do. Them and Between the Buried and Me are where its at!

I'm going to call the local subby dealer and find out some interchange info i suppose, as I need this car, because my RX-7 is getting cold blooded, and doesnt have cold idle or anything haha.

I will mess with the fan and try to get that thremo switch tested some how. I did hear that my buddys brother (read a guy thats as old as his dad haha) disconnected some "other wires" when he helped with the front pulley and belt. We shall see.

Any sites with wiring diagrahms/service manauls?

Hey, welcome to the "RX-7 for the summer, Subaru for the winter" club.

If it's overheating in 5 minutes, you should check the thermostat. It may be stuck closed or almost closed. My 87 GL (EA82) has a bearing going bad in the electric fan, but it almost *never* turns on, and it doesn't overheat.

-=Russ=-