Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird voltage

Im really hoping that this is not another problem with my alternator. I was having problems before because of a some hack job on the wires under the hood. I had F&S in Waterbury rewire it back to stock and replace the alternator. Now when i start it up the voltage is low and stays low for awhile and then jumps up to normal. It doesn't affect the way the car runs in the slightest. Im almost leaning towards the gauge being sticky. Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Ive let it sit for a whole week and the same thing happens. It always starts on the first try so im a bit stumped.

If it turns out to be the alternator (again), could my stereo be causing them to fail? I have two ten inch subs in the trunk with a 300 watt RMS amp not to mention a pretty powerful headunit. Any thoughts on this? If it is my stereo killing them should i just get an XT6 90amp alt. Ive heard that they will bolt right up with little to modes other than the pully. thanks.

does it do it every time you start up? Just when it's cold?

about the stereo/subs, couldn't you turn the stereo/subs off, then the next time you start the car they should be off and not pulling anything?

I wouldn't think that they would pull enough current to cause the alternator to do that. Sounds like you could use a new one :-/

If your alternator is bad I would get at least a ninety amp model next. The higher power used by the stereo isn't helping at all.

Yeah i was thinking it wasn't helping. Its only a 55amp alt. I guess im going to have to put up a wanted ad for an XT6 alt. This would make the fourth alternator in this car since ive had it. jeez!!!