Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Now Im confused, leaking water pump

I pulld the water pump and It looked fine, except that one of the bottom screw holes was slightly erouding so I filled it up with a utlra blue and put a new gasket. Started it up and now It leaks even faster directly under the water pump. Does this pretty much mean I need a new water pump, or could it be something else? such as a problem with the block side of the waterpump? Thank you

Theres a small chance that the block side of the waterpump is damaged so that it wont seal correctly. What is more likely since u say that it leaks faster now after u took it off is that you didn't get it to seal perfectly. All traces of the old gasket should be gone on both the block and the pump. I like to use a little bit of brake cleaner and a rage and just run my finger over where the gasket should be. If there is anything really hard on there a bit of steal wool too should do the trick. I did all of this and installed a new water pump on my subaru and have not had a problem with leaks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention when you put the new gasket on you should put a bead of black permatex on both sides of the gasket to help it seal up. Hope all this helps and good luck!

Yep, the weep hole.

Yeah, it's supposed to leak there to let you know that the seals have failed. I've replaced them when you still couldn't feel any other play in the shaft but I guess it was on its way out.

The toyota pickusp will keep running till the shaft is so loose that the radiator fan bounces around and starts bumping stuff before it starts leaking. Not sure if that is better design or not...:-\

The toyota pickusp will keep running till the shaft is so loose that the radiator fan bounces around and starts bumping stuff before it starts leaking. Not sure if that is better design or not...:-\

My last pump on my EA82 spat out bearings and siezed. Weep hole never leaked a drop. I'd rather the weep hole let me know it's about to blow! :drunk: