Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru SVX Coupe should we buy it?

A friend is selling a 1996 Sub SVX Coupe, Red, in great shape. We've been outback and legacy drivers. What's the history with the SVXs? Are they good cars? Are they very expensive to repair/maintenance? Is insurance any higher than other Subaru's? Any feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

The transmission is the weak point. If the previous owners were "spirited" drivers, you probably will have to replace it. A tranny out of a legacy will fit I believe. If its in great shape, buy it. It has odd quirks like the window within a window setup, but is a nice car. Rareish too.

What *is* the window-in-window setup for? The only thing I can think of is that it allows a lower window sill. Does anyone know?

Supposedly, the way the aerodynamics are, you can drive the car with the windows down in a rainstorm, and not get wet. This has been done with varried success. It also makes for more visibility for the driver by making the blind spots smaller or non-existant.

Guest Vickaroo
Also the windows are set up that way because they add structure and rigidness to the doors.

nipper

Yelp and besides its just looks cool too!!!!!!:brow:

Guest Vickaroo
Now somone distract the original poaster so i can sneak in behind hin and buy the car

:lol:

If you buy you gotta share......:lol: Vicky

What *is* the window-in-window setup for? The only thing I can think of is that it allows a lower window sill. Does anyone know?

Aerodynamics.. structural integrity.. and yeah.. you can have all the windows down and wind doesn't hit you in the face! (Makes for a nice 80-90mph with the windows down!)

And yeah.. parts for this thing are kinda spendy... ($160 to rebuild the alternator.. $60 for front brake pads $50 for rear brake pads.) And it takes PREMIUM Gasoline. It's SOOO worth it though!!!

The SVX got its very own transmission which has a tendancy to die alot for whatever reason. Noone I've every heard of has had one with 100k on it and not replaced the tranny at least once and often twice. There's also the fact that they only can be gotten with a 4EAT. They were kind of a failed experiment, a bit like the 8-series BMW, so they didn't offer them with a manual at all. It also got its very own 3.3L H6 which, if reports are to be believed, has quite an affinity to supercharging... :headbang:

Know you this: parts for SVX's are expensive. It is, however, quite a neat car -- kind of like a heavy, AWD Z-car. It also has those cool DeLorean-esque windows. I'd go for it. If I had extra cash, I'd consider grabbing one.

The automtaic transmissions tend to overheat, and thats the fastes way to kill any tranny. People have converted them two 5 speeds, or replaced the tranny and added a tranny yemp gauga and cooler, which seems to be the first thing you do even befreo you register the car.

nipper

Noone I've every heard of has had one with 100k on it and not replaced the tranny at least once and often twice.

Proper maintenance and good driving habits can prevent that.. the 94 I just bought has all original one owner 180k on the ticker and the tranny is smoother than the one on my 98 2.5gt w/ only 80k was.