Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Autozone Alternators...anyone have experience with?

Does anyone have experience with rebuilt autozone alternators? I just went on there website and they are selling 60amp rebuilts for around 56 bucks. Im only interested cause they are a bit more powerful then stock. The other alternative is to buy an original off of someone on this board. Anyone have a good 55amp alternator for an 83 EA-81?

Yes, I have experience with AutoZone's reman alternators. I've worked at AutoZone for about a year.

Get the lifetime warranty. A substantial number of these (basically used) alternators fail within a couple years of purchase.

It's easy enough to change the alternator on a Subaru, and I assume if you're driving an '83, you can cope with alternator failure. So, if the junkyard wants more than $30 for one, I'd say get the AutoZone one.

I had an autozone in my 87GL.

I replaced it several times.

Failures:

Voltage regulator

Pully/bearings (wobbly pully on it)

Voltage regulator

Stripped pully

Voltage regulator

So usually the volts would go up and down with the RPM's or something similar. Once the shaft was so bad that the little fan thing on it was rubbing the housing making a terrible noise... had to get a ride into town to change it (fortunately coming from a rally and had Jason following me)

Decent alternator... but get the lifetime warranty. You will need it.

Does anyone have experience with rebuilt autozone alternators? I just went on there website and they are selling 60amp rebuilts for around 56 bucks. Im only interested cause they are a bit more powerful then stock. The other alternative is to buy an original off of someone on this board. Anyone have a good 55amp alternator for an 83 EA-81?

I have experience with them as I worked for Autozone for a year and a half.:) What exactly are you wanting to know about them?

Patrick

Thanks for all the replies guys. Last saturday i was heading to the mall with a few of my friends and the voltage was at about 3 on the scale and not going up so i pulled it into a parking lot and borrowed my roommates car. It has taken me awhile but today i located an alternator for it one town over so i went over and picked it up at Bills Auto Parts in Tolland for 25 bucks. Put it in in about 20 minutes (gotta love working on subarus) and when i started it the gauge went back up to normal. Problem solved!! Dont know how long this one will last but im thinking a bit longer than the others considering it looks original and not rebuilt. In any case Bills has about 10 more of them sitting out back so i have found my supply. Im half thinking of getting another one to throw in the trunk just as backup.

throw one in the trunk. i bought a brand new one and had it in the trunk until my old one failed. i was most excited that i had the new one on hand. it was night, far from home and raining and i don't have a cell. installed the new one in no time and was on my way....after a jump.

A word about Autozones, Advance, etc etc, " Lifetime Warranty." In my area, they will sell a part with a " one time replacement " lifetime warranty. They told me that this meant they will replace it free, ONCE, then after that you must pay the full price. They can keep their junk.Get one rebuilt, not patched. at a good rebuild shop.

A word about Autozones, Advance, etc etc, " Lifetime Warranty." In my area, they will sell a part with a " one time replacement " lifetime warranty. They told me that this meant they will replace it free, ONCE, then after that you must pay the full price. They can keep their junk.Get one rebuilt, not patched. at a good rebuild shop.

all due respect to our members that work at autozone,but i will buy nothing electrical from them,napa is the best way to go.