Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy Gt Airconditioning

Since 6400 miles the legacy has been in for airconditiong not working and once fixed it now blows from warm to cold every 30 seconds when set a 73 - 75 deg. and if set colder 71 deg it will blow cold to cool. Has anyone noticed this. It never stays the same temperature - very uncomfortable to drive.

It hard to help out over the net with something like this. Out of all the systems in a modern car, the AC system is fairly straight forward. With the exception of the refrigerant it hasnt changed much over the years.

To me the short cycling, especially in a new car sounds like the high pressure cut off switch is cycling. It could be something is cloged in the system, or the system is overcharged.

COuld also be a stuck expansion valve. This is one of those things where you need to have a a set of gauges on it and read the pressures. It is possible that it is the controller itself, but i seriously doubt it.

nipper

Time to go to an independt shop, or another dealer. Alot of dealers have had their mechanics retired, so they dont have people that cant do any real thinking unless the computer tells them a code, and they go look it up in the book. Also thier senior mechanis are prbly working on the tough things like internals of the drive train.

Try an indepoendt shop (it wont void your warrenty) and yell at your area rep too.

nipper

I have gone to two other independents and they have comfirmed the problem. Here is the big question? Is there a shop manual that outlines how the behavior of the 05 legacy a/c operates and if so how do I get a copy. Subaru will no longer look at my car they say there is notiing wrong with it despite the evidence.

I would have to agree that it is time for a meeting with the regional representative. These guys are ususally some savvy mechanics and not just assemblers (notice the first three letters of the previous word).

I doubt that the techs don't believe you... hence the first few attempts at repair. Likely that they aren't capable of figuring it out and hence are now blowing you off.

Did you get a statement from the indy shop? Threaten Lemon Law if necessary. I forget the requirements but repeated visits for unsolved issues are covered if within a certain period of time. I know you want to keep the car but they don't and they certainly don't want your car back.

Even if they cave and finally fix the car, ask for something in addition... be firm... perhaps some tree shaped air fresheners??