Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to transport an engine

sooo im lost at how i would transport an engine if i got one. i would need to transport it from la basically to sacramento. by freight im guessing. i should have the crate from the other engine i could use. i am just lost at what company i should use? cheapest and best? im not sure to go about this.

make very sure it is tight to the skid or in the crate with nothing sticking out , shipping ,try , american freight [ now fedex] overnight, yellow , roadway , mark the skid where it came from + where it is going , + a phone # on the bill of lading ,for who ever is getting it ,on the other end the guy getting the motor might be able to go to the trucking co and get it , i do this every day,

I use a freight forwarding company. Basicly a freight shipper that actually deals with end customers; not with business accounts only.

Mine requires me to use a pallet. Secure it to the pallet (cheap rachet straps from wal-mart work) and build a box around it. Some might not require the box or even the straps; as they sometimes use heavy duty srink wrap to bind it down. Just have to ask the company you'll be using.

i do not do the business end, i am the truck driver that delivers the freight , it is called ltl , i delivery motors, frames, parts all day long, i would try overnight trucking, or roadway,i think what you are calling is a broker ,who sets it all up from picking it up to delivery

i do not do the business end, i am the truck driver that delivers the freight , it is called ltl , i delivery motors, frames, parts all day long, i would try overnight trucking, or roadway,

hmm LTL.i saw that and so am hoping for a trucking or roadway style. cheapest it seems and more sensible. thats where the companies come in anyone know of a good one to do buisness with?

here is something to think about ,if the other end can pick it up , because there will be a liftgate charge + residental charge , which can be high . the trucking will call the other end and set up a time for delivery + some one will have to be there to sign the bill , i am trying to think of the company we enter line with the west cost ,

here is something to think about ,if the other end can pick it up , because there will be a liftgate charge + residental charge , which can be high . the trucking will call the other end and set up a time for delivery + some one will have to be there to sign the bill , i am trying to think of the company we enter line with the west cost ,

hmm ok thanks. i think ill ship it from buisness to buisness so no residential charge i believe.

gas gas and more gas. I need to see if i should just do that. i do have a friend who has a truck but i dont know if hed be down to drive there and back for an engine. plus gas being around $3 for regular im not sure. ill have to see once the engine is ready to be moved.

A subaru engine is light enough and small enough to fit in most cars. Less gas.

I had a VW engine (330 lbs crated) shipped from North carolina to Denver by a company called Forward Air, for $150. You have to go to their terminal to pick it up.