Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 auto to manual swap problems

Well.. I just dropped this auto tranny.. getting ready to put a 5spd FWD into this 88 GL-10 that was a 3pd AUTO FWD. Not turbo.. but has all the luxury options. Anyway, I can't see anyway to get this flywheel or whatever this thing is? off of the motor... and I can't find my books. TIA

-Eli-

I assume you're talking about the flex plate. I have not done this personally on an automatic soob, so I'm trying to imagine exactly what it looks like....

There should be some bolt holes in the plate for attaching the torque converter. Put bolts in these holes and use a long prybar jammed between these bolts and the studs that protrude from the back of the engine to prevent the plate from rotating while you remove the bolts from the crankshaft.

Or if you've got an impact wrench, just zip the bolts right out.

yeah the torque converter flex plate or whatever the hell... you have to get it from through the timing hole.. there is 4 bolts you have to take off.. you dont need a pry anything if you have a 12mm deep socket they just pop right off when you rotate to the edge of the timing hole.. so once you get those 4 bolts out the thingy just falls off.. then you remove the normal bolts to get the flywheel ready to put in.. I'll go take a pic.

Here you see the timing hole with the torque converter flywheel thingy removed.. but there is the access to the bolts you have to remove to get the thing off.

TimingHole.thumb.jpg

Here is the plate that the flywheel thingy attaches to inside the bell housing.

BellHouse.thumb.jpg

This is the motor side of the "auto flywheel" ... see the 4 bolt holes?

AutoTC2.thumb.jpg

Tranny side of this heavy POS... do you see why I was confused about how to remove this thing???

AutoTC.thumb.jpg

Nothing like a manual... Can I have permission to slap the guy that invented the automatic transmission??

(More Questions to come in this process I'm sure.)

Sure ya can!!!

Okay.. so I'm callin' it a night.. because the next part is going to be a bit of a challenge.. and that is switching out the pedal assemblies and wiring in the manual tranny... I was hoping someone that has done this swap before could give me some tips on what stuff I need to switch to be effecient and get this working good! Thanks!

Well, if you got the tranny, shifting linkage, plastic trim for all that. the wiring, cross member, flywheel (pressure plate, clutch) you should do fine. I've never done a FWD to FWD swap, so I'm not sure what all you'd need. I know that one of the guys on the board with a AA lifted rig, had an automatic and he found differences between the crossmember and the bracket that the radius rod hooks into.. I think it had a longer bolt on the crossmember side meaning the bracket could be different from Auto to Manual

Well, if you got the tranny, shifting linkage, plastic trim for all that. the wiring, cross member, flywheel (pressure plate, clutch) you should do fine.

I've got all that.. the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate are already in place.. shift linkage is in place.. just gotta swap the pedal assemblies, figure out how the wires go (I have the entire harness from the 5spd manual tranny) .. I even have the computer from the 5spd.. but it isn't a gl-10 computer.. so I'm hoping I can just keep the computer that's in it... Then I gotta put the tranny in.. I've got the starter that was with the 5spd tranny.. so I'll be using that one.. BTW.. are auto/manual starters compatible?? I seem to remember hearing of people having problems with the car not starting because of the "park" sensor.. i would like to avoid that problem as well...

I dont think it matters... On Ea82s and Ea81s I've mixed and matched starters. They all use a 3 wire system from what I've seen. A ground on the top starter bolt. Hot wire to the 17 mm/14mm nut on the starter and then a male spade plug for the "park" switch/selinoid dealy bobber.

As for hooking the wires up on the tranny may be able to be avoided. I've seen a few cars rigged up to disable that park sensor because it went out and the car wouldnt start in park.

Theres a thread somewhere talking about that. Maybe someone who remembers will chime in

Stick one of the torque converter bolts back into the flexplate from the back side if at all possible, then slip the box end of a wrench over it. Jam the open end of the wrench onto one of the bellhousing studs, and use it to keep the engine from turning while you remove the bolts in the center of the flexplate.