Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know, just Google it...

I just got a super-clean '87 GL TBI FWD 5sp Wagon with low miles (~90K), and since we have no dealer in this city, I need some suggestions of online sources for factory or other QUALITY parts. I know, I could Google, but you guys have your favorites, I'm sure.

So far I love the car except that it stranded me before I burned up the gas that was in the tank when I bought it. That was kind of traumatic as my '75 Corolla has never stranded me despite the abuse I heap upon it. Then again, it has CHAIN driving the cam....

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Some parts, if there is no rush on them, u could get from this site. Just put a wanted add up for the part you need. Otherwise there are good deals on ebay as well for waterpumps, alternators...etc etc. A good amount of parts also do not need to be subaru specific. I get spark plugs, wires and such from the local Napa. Hope this helps u.

I get alot of used parts from Superrupair. I think they might ship too, although having them right in town sure is convenient. Usually $25 for whatever... New parts I usually get from Checker auto, and at least 50% of the time, have to return them because they got the wrong one the first time. But they're pretty fast and cheap otherwise. I've actually never tried a dealer for parts...

Thanks for the suggestions. I had my GL towed to a local shop after the timing belt broke mainly because I wasn't prepared with a parts source so I could do the job myself. A discount timing belt would be a BAD idea....I hate taking my car to a shop. For example, I still have to get my flywheel inspection-hole cover back from them -- they forgot to put it back on :(

I guess for a distributor cap and wires I could see what they have at Pep Boys...Bosch should be OK, right?

I don't know about 1stsubaruparts.com, I've had problems finding some basic parts for my 85 DL in stock with them. Their online database is pretty crappy on top of that.

I get my stuff from a company based in New Jersey called Auto Parts Web Solutions. They have a huge data base of OEM car parts. I've gotten a gasket set, piston rings, clutch plate, main bearing set, etc. at good prices, way better than Kragen or Auto Zone. Plus they got free 3-5 day shipping for orders over $50, which is sweet. At $91 for a full engine gasket set for an EA82 (including valve stem seals and main oil seals), they're pretty damn reasonable.

They have multiple websites under different names, but the parts database is always the same. Here's one of their mirror sites:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

There's a lot of things they don't have, like valves and pistons, but they got basic things you're likely to replace.