Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The truth about sway bars....

Ok, so I am lazy....that is the reason for this post/trial. Just had to say this.

So I did an auto to manual swap on my 84' GL Brat.....and I decided to leave the front sway bar off (insert bit about being lazy here), I really didn't notice a difference in handling at first, but the more I was looking for it, the more I saw just a little bit more body roll. I thought from other people's comments, and opinions that it would be un controlable and not to do it. I am not sure how fast I was driving, but I have to say I have done at least 55mph so far, and it's really not that bad. And as for articulation, it is quite a bit better...I think it's worth not having the sway bar on there for the added articulation.

HOWEVER, I am not sure what the car is going to be like at say, 60mph and above (ok fine, up to 80) then it might be a little different, and harder to control.

Thought I would post to see if anyone else has taken their sway bar off, and how it responds at higher speeds....to find the TRUTH about sway bar removal.

Rick

well a vw suspention company... Shine Racing has a setup for my rocco that dosn't require a sway bar. just a rear sway bar. its not uncomon.

would a properly setup car not need a swaybar.... or would the suspetion be to stiff for daily use. ;)

I cut out my sway bar on my wagon 2 years ago. I like the way it rides now. Less chatter in the front end on gravel, less understeer, more independent fron suspension. I've rallied the crap out of this car like that. Burned up 3 sets of tires last year on the ice track. I may put a sway bar back on but it'd have to be detachable for offroad use.

Even with my 4" lift on I still do 65 - 70 down the highway and the body lean isnt any worse than my old ladys 96 Isuzu Rodeo

I've done many a long freeway trip in my 4" lifted, swaybarless wagon. They're DEFINATELY optional. there's one bridge on 35 where I usually drive that goes diaganolly, so the front tires don't hit the expansion joint at the same time. it's a little scary at 80+, but not enought that I worry about it.

if you take off the front and leave the rear on (if you have a rear one) then it will be more prone to oversteer when the throttle is lifted, which is not good at highway speeds doing an emergency manouver. otherwise it just handles worse but still controllable. You'll notice if you are driving the car down the road and toss it side to side like a slalom its easier to get the car upset with the sway bars off, even though outright grip in a corner isnt really reduced that much. I think off-road handling gets better with the sway bar off because in this case body lean and weight shift is less important than maintaining wheel contact on uneven ground.

• 4 months later...
1: Where/how do you get COILOVERS for the old wagons?

2: Some of the EA82's didn't come with swaybars? Expand on that - how do I add one?

The coilovers I used were ebay aftermarkets made for a WRX

Every EA82 I have seen came with at least a front swaybar. I used XT6 front and rears for my wagon, but I had an advantage. Mine is the only wagon I have ever seen that actually had a factory rear bar on it.. granted, it was wimpy, but the mounts are the same as the 20mm bar