Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noob question about boxer sound

nkx

bringing this thread back from the dead:banana:

my Saab B202 (1985CC) sounds far different than a Dodge neon (2.0L) with almost the same specs as far as bore and stroke go. My car is more of a rumble/subterrainean growl where as the dodge is weedwaker. my car from the factory has a 4-2-1 header (1&4 and 2&3 are connected) however 1 and 4's pipe is definatly longer than 2&3 so in that regard the unequal pipe length holds true,However my car running exhaust straight of the head(missing bolts) still sounds a lot better than a normal inline four(Id be rumbling down the street and people would expect to see a big block Camaro and instead they see my little old saab.So I think that contributing factors of an engines sound are :resonance in the block,head design,timing,exhaust pulses,air intake,etc. with enough time you could make a sube sound like a honda or my saab sound like a beefed up lawnmower if you were willing to change almost everything about your engine that made it special.But why? finally of the bigest contributing factors is NOT exhaust-Saabs(non turbo) runing equal length headers still have the rumble they are famous for,just as soobs will always have their note.Besides one of the things that sold me on my BRAT was the fact it sounded like a ATV which I thought was bad ar5s.

wheww,got a bit long.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with tomrhere and rguyver

the design of the firing order, each bank fires at a time, with both pistons oneach side firing almost simultaneously

basically a pulse from each alternating side.

an open port motor will have a bloop bloop sound as it runs, but the pulse is very choppy yet, one side at a timme

the firing order is what is going to produce the sound initially. the exhaust itself will determine the pitch and drone of the pulse.

PERIOD:headbang::banana::clap:

The headers are VERY unequal. That is the one and only reason why they sound like they do.

If you install equal length headers, it sounds like a Honda.

Has nothing to do with because its a boxer or not a boxer or firing order....its the exhaust system design.

IF you took a honda engine, put 1 and 3 with SHORT tubes, and 2-4 on LONG tubes...then it would sound like a stock SUBARU turbo setup or an N/A with a Borla header on it.

Ok someone said prove it - this looks like a job for the prelude!!

KELTIK

What a long thread about soob sound!

an Inline 4 tumbles(snappy twackin retard), a boxer 4 torques. 180 degree fire, is claimed by all 4 cylinders. Inline is faking an important angle of 180 to be correct(50% on each side of crank, at angle of firing---it's a simple physic that does something incredible for engines power, and how calm it can stay to do so, again another sound factor.), subaru engines have that correctumundo math.:)

I have heard inlines almost soob like by having 2cyl headers x2, but the tumbling screaming fake torque hoax reveals itself eventually.

A subaru also has more of a throttle advance due to another cylinder firing in great spot (crank advance), inlines have to fake a balance by mechanically, physically altering the steel crank a few more degrees to gain same power (higher rpms as a result, more quickly, with a disappointing "torque" line).

A great proof of this is the vids I found for pikes peak race, in 1987 a wild screaming peugeot dominated that hill echoing a fake monster of an engine up the side of the mountain. A subaru WRX simply turbo'd, did the same ,whispering in comparison(to this day, i believe it is still dominating that race). I couldn't wait for that boxer engine torque to finally show its true colors:burnout:

"How many different ways to describe a subaru sound?"