Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted Legacy in the mud (56K stay away)

AFviper

My Legacy has KYB GR2 Outback struts on it giving a lift of about 2 inches (didn't measure the ground clearance). I know that I would have done some damage to the bumper, or worse if I still had the original suspension.

Here is the car stock except for the WRX wheels

car.jpg

Got a little muddy

carsm1.jpg

Couldn't resist doing some donuts in a small gravel pit I found

donutssm1.jpg

A little suspension flexing

flexsm1.jpg

We had some snow in the mountains

snowsm1.jpg

The road was rutted and muddy like this for a few miles

puddlesm1.jpg

Showdown ski area in Montana

showdownsm1.jpg

Its not fun unless you get your mirror muddy

mirrorsm1.jpg

The nose

nosesm1.jpg

Subaru stars through the mud

subarusm1.jpg

I was by myself so I wasn't going to leave my car IN the mud, crawl out, and snap some photos. But I guess the title is a little missleading.

I have a 22" monitor running at 1600x1200, so I didn't notice that these were large at all.

I don't want to get mud tires on it, I like the nice handling with high performance tires. The ones on there right now are the stock for the WRX Bridgestone RE92s size 205/55/16. For winter I have Nokian RSIs in 215/60/16, so those will be a little bigger, and will look more in proportion to the car. The treads look a lot deapper in person than in this photo.

hkplrsi.jpg

Is there any reason why you have to have such huge photos? I mean come on. . .

Hardly worth the wait to see a GIANT muddy mirror. Feel free to shrink them down a little.

Also. Those are pictures of your car next to the mud.

Dont you have anything nice to say.

I love the pic's. Mud and my old Legacy were always a good mix.

Is there any reason why you have to have such huge photos?

Do you know what "lowest common denominator" means? That's what happens when the internet is catered to folks with dialup.

That'd be like using VHS to release a Subaru movie.

Don't be knockin' his pics either. There's some purdy shots there, and quite frankly I haven't seen your EJ do any better.

I was by myself so I wasn't going to leave my car IN the mud, crawl out, and snap some photos. But I guess the title is a little missleading.

My apologies for how I worded my reply. I guess a smiley woulda maybe helped a little, I didn't mean to come off as angry.

Your post brings me back to when I first started out wheeling Soobs. Pics of a wheel off the ground or some mud on my 85 GL seemed pretty cool to me. I remember just how excited I got to get it offroad, although in hindsight I realize that I was pretty much just on forest roads. A few years of some pretty hardcore (for Soobs) offroading made me a little numb to those feelings.

Your pics are pretty cool to look at, I just wondered why there needed to be such huge photos of a mirror and grill. . . Even with 56k it only takes a minute for the photos to show up. It's as easy as heading to the bathrooom and taking a leak, by the time I get back, they're all up.

Anyways, keep up what you're doing, and welcome to the USMB and the Off Road Forum.

peace,

Eric Zap

ps. I do have some nice things to say once and a while Subieman. Look around the board. (smiley face)

This is still one of my favoriet photos, from long before I ever heard of the internet, much less the USMB. The soobs I built later on woulda laughed at the mud that made me spend the night cuz I was so stuck in my little wagon.

142stuck.jpg

No hard feelings. You're right I was on just regular forest roads. It seemed like a big deal to me since this was the first snow, rain we have had since I got the car. I got it in the end of June, lifted it less than a month ago. There isn't much moisture here in Montana during the summer, can't wait till the snow starts falling :). I am from the Seattle area, and am starting to miss the rain, it's not much fun driving on dusty roads.

Do you know what "lowest common denominator" means? That's what happens when the internet is catered to folks with dialup.

That'd be like using VHS to release a Subaru movie.

Don't be knockin' his pics either. There's some purdy shots there, and quite frankly I haven't seen your EJ do any better.

I've seen it do better. I haven't SEEN your car do anything either.(But we have all seen pics) The pics are fine. They are extremely huge and should be scaled down for the internet. Add a link to their location for those who wish to see the larger images. That's called courtesy, an act of kindness.

i lifted my legacy too, but mine's a sedan.

figure out what the 16" translation of 215/70R15 is and that's about your tire size limit.

So the 215/70/15 doesn't rub anywhere even with the suspension compresed and wheels turned? Also where is it close to rubbing, on the strut, or the wheel wells?

If you have any pictures of your lifted Legacy, I want to see them.

i have a 95 legacy that i drive daily i like to play in the mud with it can i put outback stuts on it to give it more ground clearce i probly have to get new alightment right?

That is exactly what I did. I bought Outback struts had them installed, then had an alignmet done. The rear camber is a little off, but not too bad.

You didn't mention if you had a sedan, or wagon. It worked on my wagon, but I don't know if it will work on a sedan. Search around, there might be someone with a lifted wagon.