Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What tires do you run

I`ve got a set of 14" alloy pug wheels that I want to install on my 93 Loyale wagon. Question; that I have to the members, that have 14" pugs on their scoobs is what size are you running??? and what brands ???

I don't have the pugs, but tire size also needs to take into account what you're trying to do: highway cruising, or offroading.

The other responses so far are significantly taller tires than stock, so they will cause a lot of speedo deflection.

If these are going to be street tires, shoot for 195/55/14 or 185/60/14. They will be very close to stock overall diameter, and will cause only a minimal inaccuracy in your speedo.

Edit: As far as brands, I don't have experience with off-road tires, but tons with street tires. Les Schwab cheapies are actually surprisingly good. As far as the major brands go, I have to give props hands down to the Michelin Energy MXV.

The first thing to find out is what size your stock tires are. They can be anything from 155-13 to 185/70R13.

Subaru speedo's are never accurate. I have put larger tires on and had the speedo checked only to find that it was right on.

This is probably the easiest tire calculator on the web to use. You enter your size and then you enter the size you want to run and it will tell you the difference.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Good luck!

I`ve got a set of 14" alloy pug wheels that I want to install on my 93 Loyale wagon. Question; that I have to the members, that have 14" pugs on their scoobs is what size are you running??? and what brands ???

What do you plan to do with the car? What kind of condtions will you be driving in? What are the stock size tires?

I plan on using my stock rims for winter only and running a premium all season on the pug rims. I guess that I should have been more specific on asking what size of tire in combination with the 14" wheels, that would`nt rub. I`m running 185/70/13`s now and was wondering if I could get away, running a 195/60/14 with out rubbing??? THANXXX for the responses so far>>>Ronan

The offset on the alloys should be enough as to not rub. The 195's should maintain the stock diameter/circumference. I run 195/60's on my Brat. Had to trim a little bit on the fender and pound a little on the back side. But, my offset is closer to stock than the pugs.

I use my rig right now as the daily driver and moderate trail usage (until the daily driver part can be replaced). I put on my 14" pugs 195/80/R14 Wildcats. Not too bad for driving on all of the time but still decent on the trail and gravel. But as said by others it really depends on where you plan on driving and in what conditions, how much clearence you have in the wheel wells, and what you want to spend. I didn't want to do any fender cutting until this car is replaced with something else for the daily driver. So I got a conservative tire size and aggression for what I use it for. Click on my AVATAR to see a bigger pic of the PUGS and tires.

Subaru speedo's are never accurate. I have put larger tires on and had the speedo checked only to find that it was right on.

Good point..

My speedometer is closer to accurate now with the WRX wheels on it than it ever has been. At least according to my magellan