Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternators w/ different pully's

WARNING: * Noobie asking what may be an obvious question *

After searching about why my idiot / warning lights are coming on very dim when driving, and go back off when I rev the engine, I found out that I should replace my alternator.

So I hit Pull n Save picked one up. Only the alternator I pulled has 2 pullies, and the one in my car has only 1. My car does have a/c, FYI. I checked the part numbers, both are from FHI, and the single pully ends in 000, and the dual ends in 020. Does anyone know if it's the same Alt with different pullies, or is there a voltage difference.

So can I just swap these and not use the extra pully on the outside? Or do i have to swap the single pully onto the new Alt? Or do I need to go back and pick a new Alt.

The double pulley one is from an AC equiped car. The alternator/PS/waterpump belt runs on one set of pulleys, and the AC belt runs on all the same pulleys in the second groove, plus the AC compressor. Since the AC never works on old subarus, I usually take off the AC belt, and just run the one, with nothing on the second set of grooves.

So, yes, it should work fine to replace a single pulley alternator. Just ignore the other pulley.

ACtually... on EA82's The double pully is for the non-AC cars.

My 87 GL had double belts going Crank, WP, Alt, PS.

All the cars that had AC that I had, had one going Crank, Idler, AC, PS and a second one going Crank, Alt, AC, PS

So the alternator only had 1 pully on it on outboard alternator / inboard AC cars.

I dont know the story on the few inboard alt and outboard AC cars...

WARNING: * Noobie asking what may be an obvious question *

After searching about why my idiot / warning lights are coming on very dim when driving, and go back off when I rev the engine, I found out that I should replace my alternator.

Okay... so long as we're on the topic. My fairly recently acquired '87 GL wagon came with a new Napa alternator. A week or two after I bought the car, the alternator died (the voltmeter on the dash showed under 12 volts). Napa wouldn't warranty it so I had it rebuilt. I was told the voltage regulator had gone bad. $30 later I reinstalled it. The car runs now and the volt meter shows well above 12 volts. However, all the idiot lights flicker and come and go from time to time when I turn on an accessory or change the engine RPM. The problem seems to be intermittant. I'm wondering if I should bother to take it back to the rebuild shop.

Tracy

ACtually... on EA82's The double pully is for the non-AC cars.

My 87 GL had double belts going Crank, WP, Alt, PS.

All the cars that had AC that I had, had one going Crank, Idler, AC, PS and a second one going Crank, Alt, AC, PS

So the alternator only had 1 pully on it on outboard alternator / inboard AC cars.

I dont know the story on the few inboard alt and outboard AC cars...

Mike, its the same on my RX and I have an inboard alt and an outboard AC compressor. I belt on the alternator and thats it...

Mike, its the same on my RX and I have an inboard alt and an outboard AC compressor. I belt on the alternator and thats it...

Hmm, come to think about it, my car with the outboard alternator and inboard AC had one pully on the alt and two on the AC and everything else. The two with the inboard alt and the outboard AC have two on the alternator and everything else, and only one on the AC. The one with no AC at all had only one on everything (but it was also an EA-81).

At least it's not the system on the my VW rabbit where the crankshaft belt was connected to the AC and waterpump, and then a secondary belt off the AC drove the Alternator and PS. Or something wacko like that.... Bleah...:-p I took it all off and put a simpler engine in....