Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX autocross video DUW (20meg)

http://rapidshare.de/files/6418179/MOvie.mpg.html

Never used a service like this to show others a video. I didn't get the Premium service. I didn't sign in. I don't even have a clue whether this is DUW or not.

20 meg. I say yes to DUW.

That's my little boy Archer (4) that you hear in the background.

I wasn't trying to thrash the car, it's first time with slicks.

Constructive comments and questions welcome.

Unconstructive comments met with same.;)

Regards,

Jay

If you go to the trouble to try to see the video, let me know if it works.

JWX, thanks for the tip.

I cut and pasted from the FOR SALE post in the marketplace ad so it might sound like I'm trying to sell it to you.

I have swapped the suspension from a 1988 Subaru XT6 including the 5 lug hubs, rear sway bar (21mm? can’t recall), control arms w/camber adjustment, front struts/springs and XT6 brakes front and rear. Front sway bar is the original 13mm. Rear springs are the longer and heavier units from a 1988 Turbo wagon with 1 ½ coils removed for shortening and stiffening.

I didn't lower it past parallel so roll center is not adversely affected.

I would like it a bit lower but bump steer is a pain in the rump roast when your loaded up in a corner.

I completely rebuilt the engine with factory Subaru seals and parts bought from CCR when she was still selling rebuild parts and a set of 260* Delta cams. Heads (GEN3) were gone through and pressure checked. 3 angle valve job. Xt6 lightened flywheel and heavy duty SACHS clutch in late 2003.

2 1/2" exhaust with a huge cat and a FlowMaster from the turbo back. I fabricated the 1 ¾” piping for the front mounted Starion intercooler (modified) and BPV is from a 1988 Mazda MX6 turbo located as close to the throttle body as possible. Boost comes on at 2700 and pulls to redline. I’m still running factory boost.

Tires are 205/50/15 Sumitumos mounted on sandblasted and clear coated aluminum 1996 Legacy Outback wheels.

I am running 205/50/15 Victoracers for autocross. Didn't mess with the alignment although I should have.

What's everyone's opinion on the exhaust note?

23Radford_Autocross_08072005_038-med.jpg

The other side of the course was better.

23Radford_Autocross_08072005_0401-med.jpg

Spent the whole time dialing tire pressures back and forth. the car does not understeer at all unless I'm an idiot and didn't set up the corner.

Wasn't very confortable with the throttle acting like a on/off switch. Not as smooth as it should be. Couldn't get a decel without some kind of driveline lash. TB maybe?

Car has been parked for a while.

My kid makes me smile too.

Regards,

Jay

I haven't done but just the one autocross this year.

Finished 4th out of 7 in SM. Overall didn't do too badly.

Trounced some Miatas, Neons, 04 GTO, MX6, BMW's..

I also was handed my hat by a built Mustang with a sweet sounding blower, an EVO that was driven badly, a new Mini, and let's not forget about the 05 GT Legacy with Khumhos. Many more.

FTD was 61.75 by a Cobra Mustang. In comparison my fastest run was a 69.201. That is, as you know, quite a margin.

I had never driven this car with slicks and was astounded by how deep it would go into the corners. The run in the video was the 1st or 2nd out of five.

By the third run I was TRYING to lock it up to see where the threshhold was for how deep I could go.

At one point I ended up almost at a complete stop about 6 feet from the apex. FYI =You can't turn the car with the front wheels locked up.=

:) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:)

Eh, practice, practice. I don't live at the top of Bent Mountain any longer, so going to and from work isn't as fun as it used to be.

Jay

that looked like a blast!

i have posted before that after buying my brat, i loaned my turbowagon to a friend for a few weeks. one afternoon while walking around downtown, i heard something loud coming from a few blocks away and i was astounded when it was my turbowagon, driven by my friend!

i had a custom 2.5" open exhaust with a divorced wastegate, and i hadn't expected the car to turn out that loud...