Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help buying. Is this worth it?

I have a deposit on a 2002 OBW 5-speed manual that I looked at and was wondering if it's a good deal. It drives fine, looks pretty clean and has service records from the dealership.

Here are the pro's:

Clean condition

Service records, including recalls.

Heated seats

Heated mirrors

Towing kit

low miles (less than 40k)

compass on mirror

Con's:

was a smoker's car, even though it doesn't smell too bad, you can still tell a little.

has a 2-inch ding on the front edge of the hood from a heavy loading cart that hit it in a parking lot. You can't see it because the dealer installed a Subaru bug/rock deflector over it. It looks sharp, actually, but I'm concerned about any future rust problems. It doesn't seem to have broken the paint (yet, anyway).

They were advertising it for 15k, but I can get it for $14k. Is that worth it? Looking at Edmunds, it's worth anywhere between $14,800 and $13,300, depending on whether I rate it as "clean" or "average." I just don't know if those 2 con's are really that big of a deal.

Thanks for the feedback.

You really have to decide for yourself I think. If it has all the options you want and things you like, that is good. Have you looked at other similar cars and compared prices? Since you have put a deposit on it it sounds like you have commited yourself, somewhat at least.

The mileage is good, but the price is still high... Especially when the N/A Saabaru (basically an RS wagon) was going for 16,995 via the GM employee discounts...

I've been looking for a few months and this is the cheapest I've seen for that year/mileage combo. It's still a little more than I want to spend, though. They won't go any lower. It was $15k, they went down to $14,500 and finally $14k.

The saab 92x/impreza wagon is too small for me. I need the cargo room for my 2 dogs + luggage.

thanks