Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why is it so rich

Ok, so the 83 is running REAL rich...no idea why. I did a motor swap a while back and it ran great for several weeks and now it just rich as anything. To the point that it starts to foul plugs within about 10 minutes.

I've checked for vaccuum leaks, I've changed coil, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, thought the cat might have been plugged, so I changed that, too. What now???? :banghead::banghead:

I wouldnt. :drunk:

I agree. In some cases you may have a worn seat and your float won't be able to do its job the way it should.Or I have seen on some the float may develope a pin hole in it and it will get filled over time and fuel logged and then you will definately be getting too much fuel.Either way something is definately worn out. I would start in the needle&seat area as well as the float.Good luck.

Have you looked at your choke?

It could be that your Fuel Pump Control Unit (FPCU) has quit talking to your choke?

This happened to me when I changed FPCU boxes from a different year. I had to drive around with a screwdriver in the carb to keep the valve open.

Just a thought?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--Now featuring the proper FPCU!

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

Well, I'm reasonably certain I have a faulty FPCU, as a known good fuel pump quit working months ago. Found that it just wasn't getting power, So I ran power from the ignition coil. Was not aware that the FPCU also controls the choke. On the other hand, It doesn't seem to make a lick of difference whether the choke is connected or not.

So where is the FPCU?