Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cold engine hessitation

Well...now that its getting colder again my bad hessitation is back. If i let the car warm up all the way its fine and runs smooth and doesn't hessitate much if at all. But if i start it and try to run it when its only partially warm then it has the tendancy to bog down or stall on me off of idle. It has the dreaded Carter/Weber carb on it but my old 86 with a hitachi used to do this too and that had a bunch more miles on it. I don't know what to do short of replacing every damn vacuum line under the hood. I know the other option is the weber carb which i think i will do in the near future when i have the funds for it (and a hitachi intake as well). Any suggestions for me guys? Is there one particular vacuum hose under the hood that causes this more than others or is it just the carb itself and should i live with it until i get the funds for a weber?

Allmost every carbed sube i have ever drivin needed at least a 5 minute warm up.The 86 i have now has only three vacum lines,One for advance for disty one for heater control and one for choke and it still needs a five minute warm up or it will stumble like heck untill it warms up 1/4 of the way on gauge.

um... guys... thats what carburetors do. they dont have an enrichener, they have a choke. the choke just chokes the engine of air, so it runs richer. no making power when your choke is closed, or partialy closed.

efi motors shouldnt do this as bad, because they just richen the mixture up. you can still get alot of air in the motor, and the extra fuel makes it run ok untill its warmed up

you can adjust your choke, and maybe make it a little better, or just let it warm up for a couple minutes.

its truly the nature of carbureted engines.