Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building the RX? RX Masters Please Post Here!

As I'm pretty sure most all of you don't know, mostly because I've been too ashamed to admit it, I caught the RX on fire. It's my own stupid fault and it was a small fire. When I was doing my XT6 clutch job.. one of the turbo to exhaust manifold bolts snapped off and being the genius I am said to myself "It'll be FINE for a couple days with just THREE bolts holding it on!"

So I'm in Phoenix at the families place spending a weekend to relax by the pool. Planning to tear into it in the morning and fix that manifold. Well about 10am a friend of mine calls me literally in tears out in the middle of the desert broken bruised and bleeding. He had been hit by a jeep cherokee while riding his dirt bike. He was asking for help.. and knew the RX would make out into the hills where he was. So I immediately got the First Aid kit and about 3 or 4 gallons of Ice water in a jug. Threw it all in the RX and TOOK OFF! At about 10:30 that morning it was 98 degrees out and I was doing 110 mph WOT down I-10 to get to Tucson ASAP. I think what happened is everything just got so hot (temp gauge was fine) that the timing started to slip.. anyway.. about 20 miles out Phoenix I was forced to pull over and smoking.. I opened the hood and to my surprise saw FLAMES. I grabbed the large water jug and dumped it on the fire. Put it all out except for one little piece of plastic that I blew out! From what I can tell most of what burned was grease, part of the 1-3 Timing Belt Cover, and a couple hoses.. maybe PCV? You can barely tell it was on fire except for some blackness where it should be whiteness. And some bubbled hoses.

So, to make a long story.. apparently long.. thanks for reading.

What I'm getting at here is: I want to build the RX to be Stronger, Faster, and More Reliable! We have the Ability! We have the Technology! Now all I need is some good kicks in the right direction.

What I would like to do to it and hopefully you guys can help me source parts and stuff:

Better Turbo (TD04?)

Intercooler (WRX Top Mount? / Put in Hood Scoop?)

Boost Controller (??)

BOV (??)

Wastegate (??)

Exhaust (2.5" Turbo Back?)

Intake (4" Short Ram?)

Increased Fuel Supply / Better Injectors (??)

Please feel free to add something I might have left out on that list? Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to do the engine re-build or not, what's your opinion?.. may have to.. but I was wondering if you guys could estimate the cost of a head shave / cam grind / better gaskets? / etc.? to do to the motor while it's apart? I just want to try and do everything right here and get this baby running GOOD!

nothin to be ashamed about, just a little bit of half-assin' it. A lot of people do it all the time but sometimes it can result in what has happened to you my friend.

As for doing a build-up, my current engine in my RX which I'm about ready to finish and fire up has the following mods done to it, plus what I paid for the parts as well..

XT-T spyder intake - $165.00 shipped (this includes everything I need to bolt on and go)

WRX top mount intercooler and hoodscoop - $115 shipped

WRX TD04 turbo - $120 shipped

Delta 260 street cams - traded parts to Will which I still need to send off but they run IIRC $120 + your core cams from Delta

Megan Racing downpipe - $150

GReddy Profec II B-Spec electronic boost controller - $200 shipped

GReddy Auto Turbo Timer - $13 shipped

new OEM headgaskets and all the other gaskets from Advance - $150 ($75 was the headgaskets)

AEM Cold Air Intake - $60 shipped (for a WRX, I also spent an extra $115 for aluminum and silicone hosing to go from the turbo to the intake. I also got a MAF adapter so I can continue running my MAF until I go MS&EDIS)

Samco intercooler hose set - $45

TurboXS BOV - $60

Other then that, the engine is stock for now. The only thing you have to do in order to bolt on the TD04 to the stock EA82T uppipe is the back stud in the uppipe has to move back about a 1/2". Then weld it on and the turbo will bolt on. I would also recommend replacing all of the rubber hoses for the coolant and the oil return to be on the safe side. Also, the reason behind the spyder intake is it makes it a lot easier to plumb the intercooler in especially with the hose kit. I'm hoping to have mine back up and running within the month which will be awesome since it hasn't run since last December:( Good luck and I hope this helps a little!

Eli... start simple man. You dont want to do too much at once, or you'll end up with problems and not know what caused it. 1st thing 1st... repair the fire damage. I know people who run without timing belt covers, so you should be fine with damaged covers... but make sure the belts are good and replace if needed.

As far as performance... the 1st thing you want to do is intercool the engine. For simplicity I suggest the Saab 900 Intercooler. The inlet and outlet are 2.38", same as the throttle body on our engines. I installed my Intercooler using about $50 in pipe; $30 in hose clamps, paint and other odd's and ends... and then $40 for the intercooler.

After you have the engine intercooled, then you can play with boost and everything else. The TD04 turbo upgrade seems pretty straightforward, but the only reason I havent done it is because of my intercooler setup. I would have to buy new pipe and re-route some things.

Intake and Exhaust is a MUST! I wouldnt worry too much about the up-pipe, but instead replace your downpipe and the exhaust behind that. 2.5" would be near perfect... 3" wouldnt hurt but is probably overkill for our engines.

Wastegates are a part of the turbo, so you cant really modify or change that... but a better BOV would be nice. Our cars dont have a BOV, or a BPV (ByPass Valve) but the EA82T and its MAF calls for a BPV and not a BOV. If you installed a BOV you will create some problems that a BPV will solve. I am running the BPV from the Saab 900 that my intercooler came with. Routing of hoses was a small pain, but it worked out and is simple. It wont add much HP but it will help keep the HP you have. Im about to replace this BPV with something better... so we'll see where that goes.

And last, but certainly not least... a boost controller. Spend the money on a good one. The 1st one I bought was from ebay for $11 shipped to my door. It didnt work. If I had tried to make it work and ran with it Im almost positive it would have failed and destroyed my turbo & engine. The 2nd MBC i bought i got for $40 shipped off ebay. This is a real boost controller and it works great. Made by GFB (Go Fast Bits) and currently is set for 8psi. Night and day difference between 5psi to 8psi. 12psi is dangerous but FUN!

As far as head shaving, cam grinds, extra and larger injectors... I say dont worry about it for now. A good intercooler and a finely tuned engine will be enough to make a noticeable difference and keep the RX running smooth.

-Brian

p.s.

One other thing. I suggest Magnecore Racing Wires. They come in 7mm and 8mm. I got the 8mm wires direct from their website for $47 shipped and I could tell a difference between those and the 7mm NGK wires I used to run. Smoother idle and smoother acceleration. Definatly worth it IMO.

Oh... to find parts, ebay is your friend :)

some search terms that can help you in eBay...

For your Manual Boost Controller "GFB MBC" or "GFB Boost Controller". That should point you to the one I have.

For your air intake, you can get a cone filter adapter if you search for a 1988 Nissan Sentra adapter.

-Brian

Well thats a bit of bad luck in one post, sorry to hear about the fire and your friend.

All the mods listed so far are pretty good, but I know the first one I would be doing:

sarsam_1864_46250511

;)

I carry a 5 lb in the back along with a lil' bity 1lb in front of the pass. seat. I don't really trust those little guys with a whole lot.

Just one question:

When will I get to see one of y'all w/ an EJ22 turbo or something along those lines in their RX Coupe?!? Man that thing would fly.

Sorry to get off topic, but I couldn't resist. (We have the technology)

Believe me... If I had an extra EJanything Turbo laying around it would be going right in there. I have been contemplating putting the ER27 in there.. but I just can't do that to my XT6...