Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MT front seal?

I have my engine out. Lots of gunk in tranny bellhousing area. Is there a seal behind the plate with 4 or 5 bolts behind the clutch fork? Is it a simple to replace? (Like take out bolts, remove old seal, insert new seal, torque bolts.) I don't suspect a leak, but would like to take care of it while it's convenient. I didn't find anything about it in the Haynes book

U will have two seals on is the Rear Main seal which is placed around the crank behind the clutch, and a seal place inside the snout of the gearbox (snout is where the clutch bearing runs). Most probally it will be your rear main seal... But u will have to look more at the seals and I would do both while u r there.

U will have two seals on is the Rear Main seal which is placed around the crank behind the clutch, and a seal place inside the snout of the gearbox (snout is where the clutch bearing runs). Most probally it will be your rear main seal... But u will have to look more at the seals and I would do both while u r there.

The rear main seal was getting replaced anyway. Have you replaced the snout seal? Is it a bolt off, bolt on deal?