Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2WD Subie rear axle stubs (for a trailer)

I recently bought a small trailer (1000 lb cap) to tow behind my '89 GL (loyale) wagon. The trailer only has 8" wheels, no spare, and the tires are almost gone. Rather than buying new tires and a new wheel for a spare, I've been thinking about replacing the wheels/tires with 13" Subaru wheels/tires - which I have lots of - and then the spare I use for the wagon will also fit the trailer (or vice versa).

Anyhow, I've seen lots of 2WD ea81 and a some 2WD ea82 (including XT's) based cars from which I can get hubs (either disk or drum - I think disk, sans the rotor, would be lighter). The problem I see is that the rear stub axles for the 2WD cars is welded into the trailing suspension arm. I think I could probably cut the axles out of the trailing arms and weld the remaining stubs to a solid trailer axle but cutting them out would really be a lot of work. So....

Anyone know of a source of axle stubs that would fit the rear hubs from a 2WD Subie??? (I know I could have some made, but that would probably cost more than I'm willing to spend.)

I might also be able to have a have plates made with wheel studs that could bolt to the existing trailer hubs that would take the Subie wheels, but that wouldn't be as strong as a new (and stronger ) axle with new stub axles - the existing one is kind of wimpy. Again, doable but maybe costs more than it's worth.

Other ideas???

I have seen with my oun 2 eyes a bolt on spindle. If I remeber right it was on the back of an EA81 2WD wagon. So I know such a thing must exsist. It was a 4 bolt patern, but not semetrical, 2 on each side so to speak.

I'll have to check some more EA81's. So far I've mostly looked at EA82 2wd sedans and 2wd XT's.

Thanks..

I have seen with my oun 2 eyes a bolt on spindle. If I remeber right it was on the back of an EA81 2WD wagon. So I know such a thing must exsist. It was a 4 bolt patern, but not semetrical, 2 on each side so to speak.

I've looked at some more 2wd EA81's and no luck. Are you sure that you weren't looking at the brake backing plate held on by 3 bolts ( 2 forward and 1 aft) to the trailing arm??

I'm SURE, I pulled one off just to check it out (I should have pulled the set). This post got me to thinking of doing the same thing to my next trailer so I went to the yard to look for a set. And low and behold U are right! I can't find another set like that:-\ I'm not sure of the year model of the Roo I saw them on, but I know it WAS a Subaru:confused: I will keep looking and if I find a set I will grab 'em!