Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to purchase used subaru

This is my first post. I am looking to become a subaru owner in the very near future. My budget prevents me from getting what I really want (WRX STi) so I am looking at a 1997 outback. I am looking for advice. The car has 140k on it and has recently had it's 100k service (timing belt, H2O pump, clutch, etc..) and is in good condition. He is asking $6700 for it but I am sure I can talk him down to about $6000. Is it worth it? I am a little worried about the mileage, but I have herd that a subaru can run very well if taken care of. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

IMO I wouldn't get a 2.5, I am going back to college and wouldn't be able to afford the repairs. From what I have read the 5 spds are better than autos, and 2.2s are better than 2.5s....another thing to keep in mind is that the 2.2 became a interference engine in '97

might be worth it if you can get him down to $3000 or so. High mileage on a car that will probably need headgaskets sooner or later.

Look around for a nice mid-90s Legacy with a 2.2l. It will last forever and can be had rather cheap.

Good luck!

This is my first post. I am looking to become a subaru owner in the very near future. My budget prevents me from getting what I really want (WRX STi) so I am looking at a 1997 outback. I am looking for advice. The car has 140k on it and has recently had it's 100k service (timing belt, H2O pump, clutch, etc..) and is in good condition. He is asking $6700 for it but I am sure I can talk him down to about $6000. Is it worth it? I am a little worried about the mileage, but I have herd that a subaru can run very well if taken care of. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, it's all "lies & jests until a man hears what he wants to hear" P.Simon

I have TWO phase one OBW's & may be buying a third....

I did some research (asking actual '96 - '99 owners)... found that RARELY did anyone have any major problems... most of them had between 100k & 165k. That speaks more than rumours & inuendos of the internet.

The major deal with the HG failure seems to be attributed to an odd design in the cooling system. That is, if you don't quite get ALL of the air out it will most likely heat up & cause the headgaskets to breach.

My '99 had 57k when I bought it 15 months ago now it has 83k the '96 has 155k the '96 I may get next week has 147k (it may have a leak from the trans into the radiator but you don't read much about that).

Personally, I think it's Subaru's best looking vehicle in over a decade (the lines are sweet). I like it better than the Michelin Tire Man looking plastic clad sides of the later OBW's... the '06 is nice though.

It's comfortable, it's solid, it's reliable, it holds it resale value, the gas mileage is reasonable (the '99 will get over 35 mpg on the highway, if my wife drives; the '96 about 28 but it seems to have more power, too), it grips the road into the curves nicely....

I'd say buy it after you get a pre purchase inspection from an EXPERIENCED Subaru mechanic (not necessarily a dealer)... the price, who knows out here a '96 with 130k will bring $6k...

Later,

Peter

Thanks for the advice! I am still looking for other cars, but it seems that all the OBW's available in my area in my price range have 100k miles and above. Hopefully I'll find a good one, and soon... my little e30 325is BMW is falling apart quick! So I should be looking for a 2.2L not a 2.5L? Is there a noticable difference in power with the smaller engine? Thanks again for the help!

2.2 has noticeably less power than the 2.5. but it's not a big deal in my oppinion, the 2.2 in my 97 OBS does just fine, drives great. the mid-90's 2.2 is a rock solid engine. you are putting the percentages in your favor with a 2.2 more than with a 2.5. not that the 2.5 sucks or is a horrible motor, but there are head gasket issues with it. type in "head gasket" in a search here or on the internet and you'll see plenty of info on the 2.5 liter motor, but rarely do you ever see head gasket issues on a 2.2 liter. look for a good deal, 6 G's sounds like a average at best deal on this vehicle. but if your current vehicle is on it's way out then your ability to be picky diminishes.

even a good mechanic won't be able to tell the beginnings of the typical head gasket issue, so i wouldn't let even a thorough inspection matter much in your decision.

The phaze I 2.5L engine is arguably the worst engine Subaru has ever made. What that means is that it is only 2 or 3 times as good an any other engine out there, instead of the usual 10 times. . . The 97 Outback is a sweet beast, and a very capable car. If you get this car bank the cost of getting headgaskets replaced as insurance (do not replace hem until you need, but have the cash handy) agains this worst aspect of the engine. My problem with you buying this car, however, does not come from the engine. i would recomend that you invest in a Legacy instead of the Outback, as the Outback is 3" higher than the Legacy and the Legacy has much better handling than the Outback. Given that your car of choice is a WRX or STI, the Outback will not satisfy you, IMHO. If you look at Legacies, you will find that thier prices are lower than the Outback, on average. This means that you can get more Legacy for the same cash outlay than an Outback of similar vintage. Overall, I think you will be happier this way. The choice is, of course, yours.