Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suberdave's got me thinking again, and thats not good for my wallet.

I was talking with suberdave. and he suggested that I use my gl-10's rear end and get a driveshaft and tranny? to make my XT an push button awd.

I was then wondering how much a lift kit would run?...

but really has anyone done this conversion and how hard is it?

I was talking with suberdave. and he suggested that I use my gl-10's rear end and get a driveshaft and tranny? to make my XT an push button awd.

I was then wondering how much a lift kit would run?...

but really has anyone done this conversion and how hard is it?

Are you talking about going from auto to manual? 2wd to 4wd?

I've done it.. auto 4wd to manual 4wd is easier than 2wd to 4wd, but both are mostly bolt on.

its a 5spd 2wd, and I've got a rear end out of an auto gl-10, and all I'd have to get is a tranny, and driveshaft. but at the same time I would like to install a lift. no good having 4wd and not being able to use it. how hard is that?

Its a ton of parts, but mostly bolt on stuff EXECPT! The center carrier bearing on the drive shaft... no bolt holes there or for the diff... but if you have a drill and a welder, you'll be set.:brow:

Don't have welder... can I get buy with out it?

Don't have welder... can I get by with out it?

Don't know. I've never done this.

But in general, you need to get a welder! I went for many years trying to bolt stuff together, rivet, whatnot. Then I got a welder! Wow is that fun (and easy to stick metal stuff together:banana: )

For about $250, you can get a nice little flux core wire feed welder that will operate off a standard 15 amp 120v circuit, a self darkening helmet, an angle grinder (seems to be a necessity to go with the welder), and some other misc supplies. It's pretty easy to learn how to use the wire feed welders too -- took me about two hours of practicing to get good enough to do real stuff. Much easier than stick welding IMO. Harbor freight has a few decent ones -- not top of the line, but good for the hobbiest welder. It takes a while to acknowledge that this is worth getting, but you won't regret it.

Of course, that's more hurt on the wallet.....

Don't know. I've never done this.

But in general, you need to get a welder! I went for many years trying to bolt stuff together, rivet, whatnot. Then I got a welder! Wow is that fun (and easy to stick metal stuff together:banana: )

For about $250, you can get a nice little flux core wire feed welder that will operate off a standard 15 amp 120v circuit, a self darkening helmet, an angle grinder (seems to be a necessity to go with the welder), and some other misc supplies. It's pretty easy to learn how to use the wire feed welders too -- took me about two hours of practicing to get good enough to do real stuff. Much easier than stick welding IMO. Harbor freight has a few decent ones -- not top of the line, but good for the hobbiest welder. It takes a while to acknowledge that this is worth getting, but you won't regret it.

Of course, that's more hurt on the wallet.....

I think I need to rent a garage first.

Because The garage I have is full of K-CAR that won't run.