Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo EA81 Q's

I looked around the net and this site but i cant find an awful lot about the EA81T motors. I know they were installed in brats, coupes and wagons in '83 and '84 but were they also installed in the hatch and sedan body styles? Why were they never offered with a manual transmission? Could it not handle the power of the turbo motors? How many turbo EA81 cars were made? I know they are probably pretty rare as i have never seen one in person and only a few on the internet for sale. Im really bored right now if you all couldn't tell and my mind is wandering into the past :).

1983.5-1984 was the production run in the US of the EA81T. You got the model list right as far as I know. I wouldn't be extremely surprised to hear of an option in hatches or sedans possibly outside of the States.

As for the auto-tranny, I guess they figured that it was either a luxury item or we couldn't handle the raw power. My EA81T works great with an EA82 5SPD D/R and I suspect that if it had the EA81 4SPD D/R it would be pretty good too. I think they can handle the power just fine.

It's interesting to note that the Subaru RX I was an EA81T Coupe w/ a 4SPD D/R FT4WD gearbox with a center-locking differential and a rear limited slip. Now that's the car I really want and dream about. This car wasn't produced in the US.

As for how cool EA81T's are, they are: Very Awesome. Get one.

As far as i know, the RX1 was just a N/A with dual carbs, not a turbo. I have never seen a coupe with the ea81t, just the brat and wagons. We get JDM cars here, so i presume if they existed, we would have them.

I have a 4 speed in mine, goes fine, much much better than the 3at.

Ditto on the coolness!

It's interesting to note that the Subaru RX I was an EA81T Coupe w/ a 4SPD D/R FT4WD gearbox with a center-locking differential and a rear limited slip. Now that's the car I really want and dream about. This car wasn't produced in the US.

Yes!!!!!! Ive been dreaming of one of those for a bit now. I started a thread asking more info about them. I think they had a dual carb setup though and not a turbo. If turbo EA-81's were not so rare i would go look for one...but i also have some time and money in my cars so i cant just get rid of them and get a turbo brat either (i would really like to find a nice turbo brat

:brow:). Eventually, when im not in college and have a real job..then ill hunt for one. Thanks for the info though guys. Now i just have to wonder why subaru never put the turbo in the hatch or sedan. I would think it would be very fun in a 4WD hatch.

EA-81T's sure are rare, there are only 2 in Australia that l know about, mine and another in Queensland, (also a board member), both were converted from standard n/a Brumby's. l got my engine from the ultralight crowd down here, (these guy's always have something interesting hiding in the back of the shed), and it is bolted to a 4 speed d/r gearbox although l do have a 5 speed RX box to replace it with in the near future. The most difficult part of the conversion was lack of information, tried everywhere l could think of and zip around, not even a clear picture of one, thankfully being able to confirm any issues on usmb and the ausubaru forums made the job almost easy as the wealth of knowledge available more than made up for the lack of written stuff and thankfully stopped me spending my day doing this :banghead:

the ea81t coup I have Isn't going to be an automatic for long. Eventally I have plans to convert it to a 5spd RX tranny. With a limited slip rear end.

And yes, I can agree they are rare, Finding an ECU for one is IMPOSSIBLE! lol, I can't wait to get it off the driveway though. Pictures can be found by the link in my signature.

lol yeah, sure seams like it. I found a short block that I'm going to snatch, I'm still waiting on a PM for that one.

I still don't know if they work, but I'll find out evenutally. Thats the thing with the turbo cars and parts. You wont find anything for a long time and then you'll find the mother load only to wait for a long time again.