Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vacuum gauge 'cool factor'

I remember as a kid during the 'gas shortage' scare of the '70's, fuel economy gauges were somewhat popular. I had a friend whose dad was a 'gadget nut' and installed one on his Ford Bronco.

These 'fuel economy' gauges operated on the principle that intake manifold pressure is directly propotionate to fuel consumption.

I've read that aside from the novelty value, a vacuum gauge can be useful in diagnosing all sorts of general engine health things from worn rings, to blown headgaskets to sticky lifters.

All of the gauges in my '87 GL wagon work :banana: It is nice having real gauges (versus warning lights) for temp, oil pressure, voltage and of course fuel.

I've been wondering about adding a vacuum gauge somewhere in my dash or under the stereo just for kicks.

Has anyone else added a vacuum gauge and if so, where did you install it and what brand did you purchase. Did you install a "T" fitting where the PCV valve is so it monitors pressure at the intake manifold at the base of the carb?

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Not sure on EA82 engines but on EA81 engines there is a bung (huh huh huh you said 'bung' huh huh huh) in the driver's side of the intake manifold, pretty much directly above the intake port. I just unthreaded the bung and threaded the fitting that came with the vacuum gauge in the the hole (Bung hole? :lol:) and piped the tube through the rubber plug where the wiring harness comes through. My boost gauge in my turbowagon is threaded into a similar bung that is on the back of the manifold, directly below the base of the throttle body. MAke sure it's in there tight, not tight enough to break off but tight enough that the threads seal. Not sure if the SPFI or carbed cars have the bung there, but pretty much if you either use a bung, or just tee into one of the vacuum lines that comes directly out of the manifold (Some of the lines only have vacuum at certain times, and I wouldn't use the PCV since you might get oil in the vac. gauge)