Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need helping replacing lower ball joint!!!

Both drivers and passengers side lower ball joints are completetly shot on my 87 GL Wagon that I just bought so I am going to replace them this weekend. I was wondering if anyone could explain the easiest way to do this. I am sure I could figure it out by trial and error but it would be a whole lot easier if I had some sort of direction. Thanks a lot for the advice in advance.

If the EA82 is anything like the EA81 then you remove the nut on the bottom of the lower control arm then remove the bolt that holds it into the steering knuckle. without any kind of puller put a scissor jack and a 2x4 under the control arm touching the bolt and giver her a lift.. the bolt should come loose but may need a bit of hard steel loving by way of hammer. Then you find the groove on the back of the steering knuckle and tap a screw driver or wedge into it and wiggle the ball joint out.. If it doesn't someone else wil l have to help you.

use a long pipe to come in from the front, under the axle and brace against the radius rod mount so that you can push the lower control arm down

if you dont have a pickle fork you can jack up the stud after you remove the nut, and tap around the lower control arm with a heavy hammer to pop it loose

on the knuckle side, take the pinch bolt out. you may need to wedge the split open to pull it out, it can be rather rusty there. you can slip the stud back in the hole and thread the nut on so you can use the pipe to push down on the lower control arm to pull it loose

Mine were so rusted in place in my 88 XT that I had to use a air chisel to get them out. Took some real coaxing but they both came out and man! What a difference it made in the driving of the car. That and both front CV axles. Have fun with that.