Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 and headgaskets

Argh! I dunno what it is about ea82's and blowing head gaskets, but its ticking me off. I have a 86 DL that blew a HG after it sat in my driveway for 3 months with out being started. Ok I said, I'll just replace the motor with a parts 85 wagon I have in the back yard. The body was wrecked but the motor only has 116k miles on it and it ran great when I parked it 4 months ago. I just finished swapping out the entire motor out of the 85 into the 86. Guess what? This motor blew its head gasket too. Just sitting in my driveway. I'm confused! Same problem with two engines at the same time. Maybe the 86's body is possessed or something.

I dunno if this is a question or a comment. I'm just frustrated! :banghead:

Well if its is leaking vacuum at the intake an easy way to test would be to spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner around that area and see if the cars idle jumps up. If so you found your problem. If its only leaking coolant though the only way to know for sure is to pull the intake.