Ultimate Subaru Message Board

he is right, it is highly unlikely that your rear main seal is leaking. other subaru leaks look like a rear main seal due to the engine layout. but they almost never leak. i've pulled a few 200,000 miles soob motors and have never seen one leaking a drop at the rear main seal. could be cam seals, crank seal, oil pump, head gaskets, cam carriers, valve covers. all of those are much more likely than a rear main seal and tend to drip toward the area under the rear main seal making a non-subby mechanic think it is the rear main seal. i would double check before going into all this work.

with good equipment and tools and/or help, the transmission can be dropped faster than the engine pulled. but it is more annoying because you have to work under the car which ends up taking longer if you don't have good transmission jacks and equipment to pull/install from under the car.

most people go with pulling the engine, it's an on your feet job and the engine lift does all the work. in those terms pulling the engine is easier.

if you do split the motor and transmission, there is an item called a divider plate which allows oil leaks at the back of the motor. Some years have a plastic plate and should have a metal plate installed in it's place, I would search on the subject for more info.