Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gremlins attacked my wagon?!

ok I had an attack by gremlins this morning. the wagon is a 92 loyale 4wd d/r 5spd with only 168k on it, just breaking in right?

Well I start it up this morning and it billows white smoke out the tailpipe. I mean lots of it! I filled my front yard and my neighbor's in 2 minutes, and then oil pours out of the exhuast ports and starts dripping on the ground! There is oil in the intake system, coming from the pcv i assume.

I turn it back on and it smokes but not nearly as bad, but no oil drips (I have one of the few subies that normally dosen't leak) I replaced the pcv valve and it no longer smokes but it wasn't bad in the first place... I am clueless :confused: as to what happend to my wagon any thoughts ideas?

It does have a functional hood scoop... I wonder if water got in their somehow...

i'm in cali so it doesn't get real wet over here, and it didn't smell like coolant or water. I'm stumped.... :confused:

White smoke usually means coolant, while blue or blue-gray is oil. Had the car been sitting for a while? Also, you say you have a functional hood scoop. Is your car a turbo or is it an aftermarket scoop? If it's still smoking, what color is the smoke, and what does it smell like?

White smoke usually means coolant, while blue or blue-gray is oil. Had the car been sitting for a while? Also, you say you have a functional hood scoop. Is your car a turbo or is it an aftermarket scoop? If it's still smoking, what color is the smoke, and what does it smell like?

Car sat for 2 days maybe if that, and it didn't smell like coolant or oil but something else. not sure what though. oil was in the throttle body and it came out of the exhuast ports as well. the hood scope is a homebuilt one so aftermarket i guess. It also stopped smoking, eventually around like 4 pm or so. I just don't get it. dosen't smoke at all today go figure.

It almost sounds like a leaky valve guide. That is rather strange that it did that. Did you run it hard or anything before it sat?

Well I don't know what happened or what it was, but it is gone. go figure. And usually I'm nice to it, It hardly sees 4k rpm. I simply don't know what happened to it but I'm watching all gauges real close... :-\

thanx for all the input