Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Centerforce will make us a clutch!

Ok guys, I have been emailing Centerforce (http://www.centerforce.com) for the past week or so as to why they make clutches for the 2WD EA82's and older EA81's but not for the 4WD EA82's and they said if I can get enough people to email them about this application they will make one!

So here's what we gotta do :

EMAIL : larryc@centerforce.com

SUBJECT : Subaru GL/RX 4WD Dual Friction Clutch

MEASSAGE : Request information and availability on one and dont forget to mention my name : Steve

If we can get enough people to email them and he see's the demand we could get the best clutch option ever! EA82 4WD's and Turbo's could REALLY benifit from this upgrade big time.

GOOD LUCK!

Here's my EMAIL Communication with Centerforce :

EMAIL #1 Sent to Centerfoce:

-----Original Message-----

Steveman09 [mailto:steveman09@comcast.net]

Sent:
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:51 PM

To:
Larry Clark

Subject:
dual friction clutch

Hey, I would like to know why you guys only list a clutch for the EA82 Subaru's in 2WD Configuration with a 200mm disc?!?!?

This is the most unpopular model and underpowered at that.

Why dont you make a clutch for the 4WD EA82 Turbo's with the 225mm Disc that make lots of power and have a huge following?

There are TONS of people looking for a performance clutch for this application, see for yourself :

Goto the forums under the older generation and search for "Performance Clutch"

I assure you if you guys made one you wouldn't be disappointed.

Steve Hamann

Old School Subaru Guru

REPLY FROM CENTERFORCE:

Steve, We do not carry anything for the RX, you would be the first call I've had on this application in 10 years. Which is probably the reason we do not carry it, the ole SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

I will ask our Research and Development dept. to look at it.

Best Regards,

LARRY CLARK

Senior Account Representative

Sales - Customer Service - Catalogs

CENTERFORCE PERFORMANCE CLUTCHES

Division of Midway Industries

Bus. 928/771-8422 ext. 30

Fax. 928/771-8322

larryc@centerforce.com

MY REPLY TO THE ABOVE EMAIL :

-----Original Message-----

Steveman09 [mailto:steveman09@comcast.net]

Sent:
Tuesday, October 28, 2005 4:21 PM

To:
Larry Clark

Subject:
dual friction clutch

If you need DEMAND let me know and I can direct over 50 people to email you.

Let me know.

Steve

LAST REPLY FROM CENTERFORCE:

SEND THEM...........................................

Send with Subject being your application.

LARRY CLARK

Senior Account Representative

Sales - Customer Service - Catalogs

CENTERFORCE PERFORMANCE CLUTCHES

Division of Midway Industries

Bus. 928/771-8422 ext. 30

Fax. 928/771-8322

larryc@centerforce.com

any idea on how much power this thing would hold?

If it's anything like the rest of the clutches they make, more power than you're going to make off an EA82 block without some serious bottom end work.

I'll send an email tomorrow to them - I'm in the market for a new clutch.

For clarification, the 4WD EA82s & turbo EA82s use the same clutch, correct?

-=Russ=-

If it's anything like the rest of the clutches they make, more power than you're going to make off an EA82 block without some serious bottom end work.

I'll send an email tomorrow to them - I'm in the market for a new clutch.

For clarification, the 4WD EA82s & turbo EA82s use the same clutch, correct?

-=Russ=-

Yes

I'd check the thickness, but a legacy clutch will fit just fine and i'm sure they already have hi-po clutches for them.

the EJ trannys have the same splines as the EA tranny

Is the pressure plate the same too? My understanding is that it's the PP that's special on Centerforce clutches, not the disk. You can already get kevlar or ceramic disks made for the EA82. A centerforce PP with kevlar on the disk would rule!

umm good work getting them to do something they already do, I didn't save the link cause they wanted like 300 bucks for the kit. and thats too much considering if you find a brake and clutch guy its sub 200 bucks for kevlar.

edit: it might have been the centerforce II that they made.

umm good work getting them to do something they already do, I didn't save the link cause they wanted like 300 bucks for the kit. and thats too much considering if you find a brake and clutch guy its sub 200 bucks for kevlar.

Well I sure wish that I knew what brake and clutch guy you're talking to because I sure as heck would buy a carbon kevlar clutch kit from him. Heck, all the guys around where I used to live in Texas would give you a stupid look if you said that you wanted a peformance carbon or kevlar clutch for an old Subaru. Shoot, you might even get a chuckle out of 'em before they told you to look elsewhere. I'd rather pay $300 for a brand new COMPLETE kit that is made for withstanding abuse, than some no-name brand clutch that is probably just a rebuilt clutch. I paid half of that for the RhinoPac clutch kit that I have in my GL-10 right at this present moment. What is $150 more for better clamping force and holding power under violently abusive conditions. At least it isn't $450 or $500 like ACT quoted me about a year ago. And that was just for a stock disc with a heavy duty pressure plate. Besides, everyone that I have spoken with that is running Centerforce clutches seem to never have a bad thing to say about them.

Oh yeah, and thanks for your sarcasm. It isn't appreciated or needed here thank you.

This would be a good thing for us EJ22 swappers. The EA82 tranny and flywheel is used on the EJ, so the clutch needs to be able to hold the 130hp rather than the 90 it came with.

do a search, we use the XT-6 clutch, it can hold 145 hp, so were good to go, if you combine an XT 6 pressure plate and a legacy or Impreza kevlar clutch you'd be good to go.

Centerforce has never made a clutch for the 4WD EA82's

the 4WD's use 225mm Disc's (8 7/8) with 24 spline count.

Centerforce makes a Centerforce-II for the 2WD EA82's and Older EA81's.

I'm asking them for the Dual Friction which offers 90% more holding power over stock, this will solve any EA82-T's Clutch Problems Hands Down.

too long to requote here

why the hate? WJM offered his hook up on upgraded clutches, and nobody took him up on it.

Centerforce has never made a clutch for the 4WD EA82's

the 4WD's use 225mm Disc's (8 7/8) with 24 spline count.

Centerforce makes a Centerforce-II for the 2WD EA82's and Older EA81's.

I'm asking them for the Dual Friction which offers 90% more holding power over stock, this will solve any EA82-T's Clutch Problems Hands Down.

you're right I was thinking the EA81 clutch disk was the same, but its not; shaft size is different.

http://www.clutchnet.com/make/subaru.html

They have 3, 4, and 6 puck sprung hubs, and solid hub clutch disks. They a can also make a clutch to your specs if need be. Prices are pretty competitive. If you need a good performance clutch, these are the guys to go it.

I've got a sprung hub 6 puck in the Brat that I got from them for like $175, that thing is like hang on, even in the most severe offroad situations that I've put it in, it doesn't slip.

why the hate? WJM offered his hook up on upgraded clutches, and nobody took him up on it.

Not hate, just facts. Please understand, I am no noob to clutches by any means. I have looked all over the place for a good clutch for my GL-10 even to the extent of calling a bunch of the big name clutch manufacturers(even Centerforce). The only info that I ever got was a price qoute from ACT for $450 for a heavy duty OEM replacement clutch. It has been a long time since I spoke with anyone from Centerforce, but the last time I spoke with a rep., I was told that there wasn't enough demand to mass produce anything for the EA82s.

They have 3, 4, and 6 puck sprung hubs, and solid hub clutch disks. They a can also make a clutch to your specs if need be. Prices are pretty competitive. If you need a good performance clutch, these are the guys to go it.

I've got a sprung hub 6 puck in the Brat that I got from them for like $175, that thing is like hang on, even in the most severe offroad situations that I've put it in, it doesn't slip.

I am bookmarking this site! Judging by your posts, you have been around the block with clutches more than once. I am going to be hitting them up in a couple months. Thank for the info.

Patrick

Only problem I saw when checking out that site is the fact that they only sell DISCS I could not find Pressureplates to match the DISCS?

Whats the point of upgrading the DISC without a Pressure Plate to match it!? It's like putting a 350 Chevy V8 in an S10 Pickup with a Open Rear Differential!!!

I am bookmarking this site! Judging by your posts, you have been around the block with clutches more than once. I am going to be hitting them up in a couple months. Thank for the info.

Patrick

so you're telling me you never found the clutchnet stuff, or that will found one that has like 80% more hold power than stock? hell I'll go out on a limb here and get you a complete kit for 275, shipped. 6 puck kevlar, sprung center, upgraded PP, new throwout bearing, clips and the polit bearing. race proven even.

I am completley lost. I have no problem emailing this comapany but I need to know if I am correct about the application. Would this clutch fit a EA82 4wd or an Rx, or are they the same? I just put two clutches in my 85 GL 4WD Wagon. I would be glad to pay $400 Dollars for qaulity. Turns out they dont offer a quality clutch for my car.

I am completley lost. I have no problem emailing this comapany but I need to know if I am correct about the application. Would this clutch fit a EA82 4wd or an Rx, or are they the same? I just put two clutches in my 85 GL 4WD Wagon. I would be glad to pay $400 Dollars for qaulity. Turns out they dont offer a quality clutch for my car.

All RX's were 4WD and had EA82's

RX Clutches fit all EA82 4WD's vise versa

EA82 2WD's are a different animal

okay......i use the XT6 clutch and pressure plate on my EJ conversion, and never once has it slipped, the XT6 PP HAS to be stronger to take the force of a 2.7 litre H6 engine, it just has to be that way, you can use the XT6 clutch as well, unless there is a huge difference in the thickness of a XT6 flywheel and a 4WD EA82 flywheel, there should not be a problem. granted, i had my EA82 flywheel machined by John to XT6 thickness, i dont know what the difference between the two is.

~Josh~