Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone ever tried this?

I think I'll replace my timing belts this weekend. I was thinking of going with a 1-notch advance, but I can't remember how many teeth the cam sprockets have. I think it's either 18 or 36. 18 would put it at a 20 degree cam advance- pretty radical. Have any of you tried it?

Ignition timing is set with the distributor, but there's got to be a way to advance cam timing as well. Advancing cam timing moves the power band and increases low-end torque. It's a great low-bucks mod for small block chevys, and I've seen it on Nissans and Toyotas, but I've never tried it on a Subaru.

Googling "Advaned cam tiimng" shows that an advanced cam can improve botom end and midrange, but the amount of advance required is very little. No more than 2-3 degrees, typically, and it helps if you can adjust the exhaust separtely from the intake (DOHC). If your 36 tooth sprocket figure is correct, that will give 10 deg. advance, which is a whole bunch more than you can use.

Doing this will advance your ignition timing, too. Don't forget to set it back, so you can tell exactly what is going on, and not get the cam and ignition timing effects mixed up.

Hey while were on the subject, has anyone had any experience timing the cam belts without the timing belt covers? My covers broke when I removed the engine for a rebuild, and I decided to keep them off because they're falling apart and oil soaked, etc. But now I don't have those convenient timing marks on the inner covers for when I'm timing the damn thing. Do I just have to do it by eye, or can I use an alternate point of reference? I was thinking about riggin a level somehow to hang it from the cam sprockets. That might do the trick, but I'm not sure if the timing marks on the cam sprockets are perfectly vertical when being timed...I might just end up getting some replacement inner covers from Pick N Pull if I can't figure it out.

if you had a spare set of pilleys to expend you can try slotting the bolt holes and pin hole to achieve your cam advance

the seam for the valve cover gaskets is the same as the plastic mark on the covers

also the passenger side cam will line up tp the hard corner on the valve cover for o deg btdc

• 8 years later...

Any engine be it Toothed Belt or cam chain as the belt stretches or the Cam Chain stretches the cam timing retards and they lose bottom end power but rev out more on top end, This is why some manufacturers like Nissan-Datsun with the L series motors had three optional locations on the cam sprocket the adjust the timing but the amount was about three degrees so in total they had a maximum of six degrees to play with that should be a good guideline as to how much you can play without going backwards  In Power Output.