Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Brat progress

tonight I got around to putting on new disty cap and rotor, new plug wires. had previously put in new plugs.

oh yeah. the plug wires were still the original wires!!!! had 1986 printed on them... 19 years old, and 59k miles. sounds like it was time for some new ones :)

also replaced the fuel filter. it had been running very badly, and I could only go to about half throttle. the fuel filter was actually stained brown/orange, so it was pretty old.

now, it's got tons more power and no hesitation.

the idle seems to be set pretty low now I need to set the idle, and check the timing yet.

power washed it tonight too, and the dented roof does not leak at the t-tops.

it backfires after your on the throttle heavy, then let off quickly. one loud shot :) wonder how many neighbors I woke up :headbang:

think I need to do the quarter in the ASV trick....

I also put new seals between the brake fluid res. and the master cylinder. looks like somebody tried replacing them before, but didn't install them in the proper order/method, and ripped on of the seals...

now to the cleaning, and body panel replacement :)

87brat.jpg

Lookin' good Mick. What is your eventual goal for this project?

I'm gonna replace the left door and fender, and maybe pop out the roof a bit. probably just gonna sell it.

I drove it to work today :) only backfired a couple of times :)

it's definitely a off-road worthy project. there's a couple of small holes in the rockers, but otherwise they are solid. all the frame rails are good too.

should look a lot better on the inside once I get it cleaned. huge layer of dust/dirt on everything....

seats are really good too. no cracks in dash...

fuel gauge doesn't work. the sender unit out back is new too....

well, I blocked off both ASV's and backfiring is gone.

cleaned the dash and door panels. (first round)

took the bad rear axle off, and it seems I have a bad rear bearing on the drivers side. no movement, but lots of noise like the bearings are dry...

I have the rear bearing socket, but the piece that screws out has a dent in it, so I may just replace the whole arm....

and it needs new shocks....

tonight, I swapped out the passenger side door glass (easier than pulling the crappy tint off the original glass) , and cleaned more of the interior. put in a new shoft boot and re-installed the consoles...

put new shocks on it, and a maroon tailgate.

for the tailgate trim, I used an extra side piece I had, and a tin snips. looks... ummm... okay. will keep the water out of the inside of the tailgate at least.

Looking good. Someday I want one in that color. All I seem to get is Black ones.

as I was cleaning the inside of the door ways, that dark blue paint there was so pretty.

the frame rails on this one are all solid. the body rust that is there seems to be really fixable... unlike lots of other soobs I've had...

I put my 86 away into storage yesterday. the city could be salting the streets this coming week, so time to put it away....

Ya those filters needed changing.They look like coffee went through them.Well I imagine those were original so that is to be expected.Your trailing arm got sent out yesterday so hopefully you will see it wednesday.I really think that brat is beautiful and even more so when it gets done.I think white powdercoated aluminum pugs and a white roll bar and push bumper on it would look great.Keep the pictures coming.:)

• 3 weeks later...

well, finally got the '87 on the road again after the little rear bearing mis-hap :)

put on a complete different trailing arm, and did the rear disc brake conversion while I was at it.

the ASV's have been taken out of the loop, so no more backfiring.

I put some 175/80R13 studded snow tires on tonight as well, and put a full size spare in....

time for some winter car hockey :)

not real happy with the glass pack on it, but it'll have to do for now....

• 4 weeks later...

:) I had a guy put on a extra pipe and glasspack I had laying around, just so I could get it running this past summer. well, where it was welded to the Y pipe, rusted through, and the "new" exhaust was dragging :)

so today it got a new cat-back pipe/muffler, and they fixed up the Y pipe too.

:) she's really nice and quiet now, and closing in on the 60k mark :)