Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I do Fuse trick in a '03 GT sedan with AT?

My Mom is complaining that her '03 GT sedan with the automatic with the "sportshift" (what ever Subaru calls it) is not breaking 25 MPG even for extended highway runs.

In the newwer 4EAT based AWD systems can I put the fuse to make it FWD to give her better MPG till snow flies? I know the GT is a F 40/60 R split ALL the time for a more perfomance feel, and it has the rear LSD. Will that set-up be damaged by running in FWD for awhile?

It wont make you gain anything. these are AWD cars, and AWD cars get less gas mileage then 2 wd cars. All the fuse does is shut off the clutch pack. All the parts of the AWD are still there and creating drag. In fact it may even be possible to get less gas milageGas milage depends upon road surface, traffic, hills, driving habots, tire ratings, air pressure. A grippier tire is a softer tire, and will give you less milage then avg tire. In fact i even doubt you wil see any differnce in gas milage. The easiest thing to do is drive with lighter right foot.

nipper

My Mom is complaining that her '03 GT sedan with the automatic with the "sportshift" (what ever Subaru calls it) is not breaking 25 MPG even for extended highway runs.

My first thought is that the AT 03' GT model was probably never rated for 25 mpg. I'm seeing tests stating it as 18/23. If you are seeing others reporting 25, I'd be suspicious.

Thought I would mention (but you probably already know):

Proper tire inflation

Clean air filter

Synthetic fluids

Remove any unnecessary weight from the car- anything "stored" in the trunk?

My first thought is that the AT 03' GT model was probably never rated for 25 mpg. I'm seeing tests stating it as 18/23. If you are seeing others reporting 25, I'd be suspicious.

Thought I would mention (but you probably already know):

Proper tire inflation

Clean air filter

Synthetic fluids

Remove any unnecessary weight from the car- anything "stored" in the trunk?

SHE MY MOM is geting 25 MPG with gripper tires, and stuff in the trunk. But she drives 65 MAX!!