Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam installation position

I believe that the alignment pin, the extra hole of the 3 where the pully bolts to the cam, there is a 4th one that has a roll pin in it, on the drivers side that needs to be straight up, and on the passenger side, straight down.

As far as your flywheel, if you don't have the 3 marks left on that you're totally fracked.

When you're bolting the cams to the heads, it doesn't matter what position it's in. There's one position that makes it a little easier, but you can do it no matter what position the cam is in.

As for installing timing belts, when the 3 marks on the flywheel line up with the arrow in the window, one cam 'dot' points up and the other one points down. Without the 3 flywheel marks, I have no idea what you'd do.

when installing the cam towers, it's MUCH easier if the key pin is straight up. At that point none of the valves are compressed (IIRC), so you just slap the cam tower on, and don't have to worry about letting the rockers fall off/stay aligned.

Look at it before you put them on and you'll see what I mean

So the cams can go on in the easiest position (no compressed valves) then just have to move them around for the timing belts.

I do have the marks on the flywheel, but the flywheel was removed when the crank moved. I just played with it a little. It appears the flywheel bolt holes are keyed... So it can only go on one way to make thing really easy? Is that correct?

correct, the flywheel holes are keyed. Make sure you have _all_ the holes lined up before starting to bolt it on :rolleyes: (ask how I know)

I prefer to put the cam towers on with no valves compressed. Then I put the three screws mostly back in the cam, and use a screwdriver to pry on them to get the cam into the correct position for doing the timing. (if that makes any sense)

correct, the flywheel holes are keyed. Make sure you have _all_ the holes lined up before starting to bolt it on :rolleyes: (ask how I know)

I prefer to put the cam towers on with no valves compressed. Then I put the three screws mostly back in the cam, and use a screwdriver to pry on them to get the cam into the correct position for doing the timing. (if that makes any sense)

If you look at the cam you will notice a squared lobe. It just happens to be the same size as a 19mm open ended wrench. Much easier on you and the gears if you use a wrench instead of a screw driver to move them around. A cam tool is also available. It fits on the cam gear for setting the cams during installation of the belts.

Good luck.