Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi 2bbl

I was having really bad hesitation with my EA-81. The carb was rebuilt last year by a carb shop.

I noticed that the accelerator pump was not squirting gas, so I pulled the top of the carb off and checked the pump. Found the pump to work, but the jet that squirts it into the throat was plugged. I rodded it out with a torch tip cleaner and it helped out with the hesication drastically. I am a little concerned that I may have shaved the bore in the jet a bit too much.. Is it a big deal if that little jet has a slightly bigger hole than it is supposed to have?

I have horrible hessitation if i dont let my car warm up and even when its warm it isn't a hundred percent. I have the Carter-Weber one barrel. Could this be an accelator pump issue as well? Or a clogged jet? Or just a crappy Carb? I want to get it running a bit better especially now that winter is coming.

I have horrible hessitation if i dont let my car warm up and even when its warm it isn't a hundred percent. I have the Carter-Weber one barrel. Could this be an accelator pump issue as well? Or a clogged jet? Or just a crappy Carb? I want to get it running a bit better especially now that winter is coming.

I had a Carter Weber on my engine when I first bought it. Note: My engine is in a mud boat.. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8086

First of all, I couldn't get the CW to run decent no matter hard I tried. I finally paid $15 for a used intake and another $25 for a used Hitachi carb. Another $175 for a shop rebuild and it ran FANTASTIC, until about 2 weeks ago that is..

The carb shop that rebuilt mine a year ago took in 9' of water during hurricane Katrina. I live 10 miles west of New Orleans. The next nearest shop was literally washed away.. So, I had to clean it the best I could and figure out the problem on my own, or I was looking at shipping it off somewhere. My next option would be to buy the Weber 32/36 kit, which I just may do anyway..

My advice for your carb is to bring it to a professional carb shop and get a total rebuild. The CW 1bbl is actually a bit more simplified than the Hitachi, but it's twice as finicky...