Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it bad when you choke your mechanic with an ice scrapper?

So, the handcuffs are off but I need to have a new cv axl put in. At least that is were I would like to start. The guys at napa are behind me but as I bring the car to the new GOOD mechanic, what I need to know is exactly the specs on the axle I need. Spline count, size etc. Can someone please help? Or, if you have one for a 88 DL wagon sell it to me? I need to get this done asap. Otherwise I may hurt him, again. Kidding but he actually said to me with (accent inserted here) "is this car special for you or something? You say motor is good, I say maybe not so good." He has never even opened the hood! It has 129K on it and you can eat of the engine! Everything has been done and it runs great. Please help so I can sovle the "new" axle he put in up his....anyway....I need to do this!

Prior post - Ok. Picked up the car and I thought he was saying a little click when turning. NOT the case. Now as soon as you put it in gear and drive it clicks like something is hitting or something. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt as, we all know that when you take something apart is when other things start happening. It just seams strange. He said there is a problem with the diferential. It drives fine but just does not sound right. It clicks like mad even driving straight and just seems like it must be something! It also is making the same sound as before when turning. I have not clue. Let me know what you think.

POST - wrong or bad axle?!?! where did he get the axle from?

So, the handcuffs are off but I need to have a new cv axl put in. At least that is were I would like to start. The guys at napa are behind me but as I bring the car to the new GOOD mechanic, what I need to know is exactly the specs on the axle I need. Spline count, size etc. Can someone please help? Or, if you have one for a 88 DL wagon sell it to me? I need to get this done asap. Otherwise I may hurt him, again. Kidding but he actually said to me with (accent inserted here) "is this car special for you or something? You say motor is good, I say maybe not so good." He has never even opened the hood! It has 129K on it and you can eat of the engine! Everything has been done and it runs great. Please help so I can sovle the "new" axle he put in up his....anyway....I need to do this!

Prior post - Ok. Picked up the car and I thought he was saying a little click when turning. NOT the case. Now as soon as you put it in gear and drive it clicks like something is hitting or something. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt as, we all know that when you take something apart is when other things start happening. It just seams strange. He said there is a problem with the diferential. It drives fine but just does not sound right. It clicks like mad even driving straight and just seems like it must be something! It also is making the same sound as before when turning. I have not clue. Let me know what you think.

POST - wrong or bad axle?!?! where did he get the axle from?

If it is a new axle it needs, I've had good luck with rockauto.com. $46.99 plus core for rebuilt axles for my '89 GL. This is about half what subaru wants for a new OEM ones.

Axles for the 5 speed manual non turbo were the same from '85 to '94 (loyale) I think, so it shouldn't be that hard to get the right one...

Zeke

you know at 99.00 and for all the troubles hes having, it may not be a bad idea to go to subaur and know for 100% sure your getting the right axle. i had this same issue with a 88Gl and only way i go out of the mechanic-=not -knowing-what-he-was-douing hell was by getting it from OE.

nipper

my axle was clicking... or at least i thought it was the axle... 2 axles later i discover something odd... it sounded much like axle click...

the front brake pads were clicking against the bracket... that explained why it was clicking when going straight, but not grinding around corners, or harsher clickage... then i put in a few 30 cent clips and the noice was gone! to bad i messed up 2 axles to fix it...:banghead:

but hey, i'd make sure your axle click is REALLY axle click... it probably is... but i don't want to see my misfortune passed onto others...

just take off the wheel and try moving the padds.. e-brake off of course... or easier... see if it stops clicking when you brake... fairly hard braking...

good luck!

time to start changing your own axles! the specialty tools are cheap and there is an excellent writeup by edrach somewhere around here. do a search for it.

Specialty tools:

3/16 or 3mm(?) punch (Craftsman's is $6-8ish)

36mm socket for axle nut ($10, schucks, etc)

snap ring pliers $10ish

CV boot clamp pliers (optional but nice) about $10 each, 2 styles, nice to have each.

grease and cotter pins are good to keep on hand. boots and clamps should come in under $20 per joint.

Buy these tools, then just watch for the rubber on the boots to start wearing out, then change the boots. If you don't let them rupture, you don't even need to clean the grease out every time. Plus you can regrease your wheel bearings every time you remove an axle.