Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat engine ?

hey all

can any body tell me if there is a way to tell between a brat engine and a hatch/wagon

ie, vin # engine vin # visual diffrences

I have three brats and they all have running engines I know that one is a true brat but I have a feeling that the other two may have been switched out

any insight would be most helpful Thanks

LT

hey all

can any body tell me if there is a way to tell between a brat engine and a hatch/wagon

ie, vin # engine vin # visual diffrences

I have three brats and they all have running engines I know that one is a true brat but I have a feeling that the other two may have been switched out

any insight would be most helpful Thanks

LT

If you're real keen, take the rocker cover off and set up a DTI on the end of a valve or push rod or something, and measure the duration.

Doesn't the brat engine have more low down torque? Tie two brats together by the tow bar, and have a tug-of-war with them. the winner has the brat engine! :lol:

• 5 months later...
I agree with Shawn.Different cam on the brat compared to the hatch.More duration=more torque.

.... that may have been only for certain years....

the 84 parts manual does not show a different cam for the Brat....

I think the difference was the 81/82 only (81 GL - DL was 1600). The small intake valve engines had different cams than the large valve - and possibly for the Brat vs. the rest. Personally I don't think so tho. After 82 the large valve heads were all the same - except 83/84 automatics which got the hydro valve train. The 85+ were all hydro - same cam Brat vs. Hatch.

At any rate - the performace specs were the same for all - and I've never seen any part numbers to verify this "wives tale". It's very much like the 2WD distributor BS - there is ONE advance curve - for all models. Your seat of the pants dyno is out of adjustment guys.

One plant builds engines - another assembles cars - there is no reason to believe they would change something like an engine internal for one body style over another. It just doesn't make sense. All the 4WD gearings are the same as well. The Brat "feels" more powerfull at low speed because of it's lighter weight.

*edit*:

Here's the part number for 82 - 415107100 - listed same for all EA81's.

McBrat say his 84 manual shows the same info... I really don't know how this rumor got started. Weird.

GD