Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mt.Hood snow!

scoobyclimbs

I went for fun cruise up Still creek rd(fs rd 2610) to Sherar burn(fs rd 2613) and broke trail for 10miles in a foot plus of powder in places! It was awesome! Then I hiked up to Devil's peak lookout tower(5,045ft) for a hot lunch and brew! I did have to cut out some blowdown to continue ....no problem! I never had to chain up! My Yokohama Geolander At+II's were awesome!

th_sherarburn.jpg

th_veda.jpg

th_blowdown.jpg

th_gear.jpg

th_salhuck.jpg

th_fsrd2613.jpg

th_devilspk.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful pics. I love the mountains in the background.

Were you by yourself? If so I would have been a little worried about getting stuck, or stranded.

Mountains...lol! those are just small buttes!(under 5,000ft)here's the mtn(Hood 11,240ft) pic taken 2 weeks ago!

th_loloHood.jpg

Yup... just me... Getting stuck..nah...It's a subie ! I've dug myself out so many times I can't count how many! Besides how many subie owners are crazy enough to follow me....? LOL! I know the limits of my subie... I have the gear to get myself out of a jam( bow saw/maddox/chains/beer for when life really sux...!) + being a mechanic helps too. When I go up to mtns. I have extra clothes, water, stove, food for a few days if needed.

Me!! Plus you sound like you really have your stuff together. Sounds like you are the guy to talk to about some winter snow style camping? I bet you know all the good trails and camp spots up there, huh?

I know Mt.hood Like the back of my hand, summited twice , many attempts different routes(weather/chopper crash...!!!) . Almost killed by an avalanche!!! triggered a small avalanche skiing..YIKES!!

Been snow camping on Hood since '77

I've dug alot of snow caves! Bivyed once during a storm (made a snowcave in foot and half of snow!)

circumnavigated the mtn via the Timberline trail #600 with a 50lb pack (41.8miles in two days!)

I climb, ski(tele/x-country), snowshoed, mtn biked , backpacked, canoed , fished, horsetreked all over that mtn! I know a few gems in 30plus yrs of going up there!

I also do volunteer trail maintainence on the #794 cool creek trail and Hunchback mtn #793 + Devils peak lookout tower!

I'm no expert just lots of experiences there!

You know, I'm not 100% at the moment. Depends on what my Thanksgiving plans wind up being. However, if they wind up being what I think they're going to wind up being, I'll probably go.

I've seen your car before, at rallies. I think I saw it at the Wild West service area and at maybe Dryad?