Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear bumper.. what are my options?

Well i really did a number to my pumper yesturday trying to pull out my friend who got his ford explorer stuck when we went wheelin. i knew i was going to do some damage..but we were the only ones around..untill some dirt bikers went to get a firend and his big truck to pull him out. i ripped some of the body apart when i found out the hitch was not mountd in a proper location.. my fault for not looking.

bumper.jpg

hitch.jpg

what kinda options do i have for a bumper. i would like something more solid so i can use it for the winter to tow people out of the ditch and whatnot. any good ideas or places to look... I'll be searching on the board for a bit.

i took it off and well, its not in too bad of shape. just need to do some bending, although now im going to see if my friend back on the west side still has his welder at his parents house, im gonna weld soemthing up.. sometthing thats a little stronger. when i get back over there for thanksgiving. hopfully.

Try a Mudrat or Allied Armament bumper. Both should be sturdy enough.

My AA bumper's not as sturdy as I'd like, but they know, and will be making them much more beefy. nonetheless, I've yanked more than my fair share of jeeps out of the muck with it, no troubles, I had to plow over a few trees turning around on an ATV trail, and tweaked it a bit, but nothing serious.

Ha, im not going to pay for one. i'll find some scrap steel and make my own. my buddy mike will be up to the challange. but thanks anyway. :) if you have some good ideas on what to incorporate into my bumper that would be cool.

the tie down loops in the rear are as solid mount as you get. id put a nice bumper on, but still use the factory tie downs for pulling people out.

one thing to think about with the ea81s. the bumper mounting bolts arent that big. if you want super duper pulling power with the bumper, i would drill out the stock bolt holes, and replace them with 1/2 inch bolts.

the stock ones are about 10mms i think.

ea82s are bigger.

i did a 3 foot slack, full throttle jerk on morganms wagon, with a chain. he didnt move, damn near spun me in a half circle. but the tie down held.